Windows for playing

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Retina 13"
Hi, I'm planning on buying the new MBP 13" 2010 model
I want the 13" model because I'm a student and I like the weight and size, the think is I also want to install windows on it (Bootcamp) in order to play mass effect 2; my question is, which windows should I install, 7 or XP???

I don't know which one will be better for playing....

thanks in advance

P.S. this will be my first mac ever...and im excited:D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook pro 2.26 ghz intel core 2 ..memory 4gb ,500 gb hard drive ////running Windows 7,Iphone 3gs
hey i also have a new mbp 13 ' i install window 7 ultimate it run so smooth and the look is priceless on a mbp .. i havent play the game your asking for but i have cod 4 .cod mwf 2 , and left for dead 2 ,, and tons of programs, some games ur going to have to tweak it out on a lower setting ..but i know winxp is cheaper... its up to you ?

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Retina 13"
hey i also have a new mbp 13 ' i install window 7 ultimate it run so smooth and the look is priceless on a mbp .. i havent play the game your asking for but i have cod 4 .cod mwf 2 , and left for dead 2 ,, and tons of programs, some games ur going to have to tweak it out on a lower setting ..but i know winxp is cheaper... its up to you ?

well im not concerned about the price, cause i allready own 7 and xp (im still a pc user, havent got the mac yet)...what i want to know is which one is better for gaming on the mbp 13

Reaction score
Under Boot Camp, Windows runs exactly like it would on a windows PC with the same hardware - so whichever version of windows you prefer for your games would be the one to choose. I am not a gamer so can't recommend one or the other for that purpose but the OS will perform the same on that Mac when booted into Windows as it would on any other PC. I would imagine that the video hardware on your 13" MBP would be a much greater determinant of gaming performance than XP vs. Win7, to be honest. The GeForce 320M that the 13" MBP is not as high performance as the GT 330 used in the 15 and 17" MBPs, for example, and if I recall correctly, shares system memory with the core chipset. If I was you, I'd research the graphics system performance; my guess is that either Win7 or XP will serve you fine as the OS but that's probably not the most important thing.

Cheers

Reaction score
The guys are right about the hardware being the overall determining factor. But you will probably get a few more frames from XP. If all you plan to use Windows for is gaming then definitely go with XP, Windows 7 has a lot of bloatware running in the background so why wast your time tuning it when XP is fine right out of the box?

But then again, a format and a game install should take under an hour so if you're able to spare 3-4 hours, see if there is a difference from your own tests.

evvd-cace

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
well im not concerned about the price, cause i allready own 7 and xp (im still a pc user, havent got the mac yet)...what i want to know is which one is better for gaming on the mbp 13

Sammy gave you excellent advice about the hardware and GPU. But I wanted to add one thing....

You may already know this, but in order to use your already owned copy of either Windows 7 or XP they would have to be a MS boxed copy rather than OEM or even a System Builder's version. (Those can only be installed on one machine and may not be moved.) Only the MS boxed copy may be moved and reused on another machine. (has to be activated again)

Regards.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Retina 13"
Thanks for all of your replies....i know about the boxed copy, i have a windows 7 one....xp wouldn't be hard to find.

and if I do i will install both and try wich one is better..and post back of course

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.