Why do I have to Keep running Disk Utility Repairs?

Reaction score
I have a MacBook which is about 2-3 years old. As any Mac user does I run Disk-Utility every now and again and then do the occasional repair with Disk-Utility, If needed.
More recently when I have been running Disk-Utility it has been showing up errors more frequently; like wrong Volume Counts and wrong Directory Counts, therefore Disk-Utility says the HD is corrupt.
As always with any problems I run Disk-Utility from the Snow Leopard Installation Disk and do the required repairs.

My question is Why are the problems more frequent now then before when the Mac was new, is it signalling that my drive is coming to an end or is this normal?
I would rather not transfer things to a new Hard Drive and Install that as I am am reasonably new to Mac.

One other thing that I can think of is that I think there is a link, because when ever I have to force my Computer to shut down (this is not very often) and I then run disk utility it shows up the problems (like one number is wrong in the Volume/Directory Count).

Thanks for the help in Advance
Adam Jeffreys

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
I wouldn't say it's normal. I have a Mini which is 2-1/2 years old and have never needed to use Disk Utility for any reason. You say your MacBook is 2-3 years old. The difference is crucial if you have AppleCare. If you do, and it's about to expire, take it in to have it looked at, quick!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
emac, G4 laptop, G5, imac 2.4Ghz intel duo,
I had the same think on a mac laptop. had the apple guy out and he found a problem with the HD. also meant it never completely backed up to the time capsule. it just got to that problem point on the HD and stopped backing up. the guy had to download manually all my stuff to an external hard driver via usb as there was no firewire on the lap top (too all day), the he put double the size HD in. Cost me Au$300 i think but it was worth it.

I was getting out of the car and did a juggling act with the laptop (in sleep mode) with it eventually hitting my roofracks with moderate impact. I figure i damaged the hd then. Lot to be said for solid state eh.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
emac, G4 laptop, G5, imac 2.4Ghz intel duo,
I have been told that Disc Warrior is pretty good but i think its kind of expensive.

cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Disk Warrior is considered the best there is. DW however will not restore a hard disk that is repeatedly failing, it works by masking problem sectors. One problem leads to another, and eventually becomes irreparable (just like an old motor really).

What the OP reports suggests a failing hard drive and, as advised, have it checked if it's still under warranty.

If not, and the repair requirements are continuing, then it's time to back up the hard drive - immediately, if not sooner - and replace it. Yes, it is a hassle, and no-one pretends it's easy, but it is necessary if you wish to preserve what you have on the problem HD. [There are people on M-F who will help you through the process.]

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
Adam if your hard drive is dying and you don't what to replace it yourself then you can always have Apple or any other trustworthy computer shop do it for you. You just have to pay them to do so. A lot of people on this forum are knowledgeable enough to do it themselves but if you are not comfortable doing so then take it to Apple.

OP
A
Reaction score
Im thinking of Buying a 320GB HDD. I will put it in an enclosure, format it for Mac, then run Disk Utility from my Installation Disk and use the Replace Function in it to in a way clone my Hard Drive in my MacBook. I would then insert this one into the Mac and take the other one out. Would you say this is a good idea, also would this copy everything across so when I boot from it my Mac will look just as before but with a bigger HDD?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
You're on to it! SuperDuper and CarbonCopy Cloner will do what you want (I don't know the "Replace Function"), providing the external (new) drive is HFS+ formatted.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.