Good application to organize photos in mac?

Reaction score
more detailed question

Thanks for those suggestion, I'll sure have a look at them !

I actually forgot to ask one very specific question, for all the people who know well how to use iPhoto ...

How do I delete a photo COMPLETELY, from all devices ?

I have several times deleted a photo from my photstream, camera roll, on phone and Pad, but it's still on the computer, after next sync it's back, because it's still under "Last 12 months" from my Mac, under "Last Import", or under the date I saved it under the "Photos" view.

Do I really have to delete a picture, once it has been synced to all devices, from Laptop, Phone, and Pad individually to really get rid of it ??
Or is there any way to delete it once, and once and for all ??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), BenQ 32" 2.5k QHD Display
Lightroom uses a nearly-identical "vault" system to iPhoto unless you choose to handle things differently. Just like iPhoto, where you can opt to just "reference" photos rather than copy them into its vault.

(I'm using Lightroom right now myself, but am not a huge fan so far. Love how well it handles RAW, but not used to its UI yet)

Actually no Lr doesn't use a vault system at all. You can go right to the directory were the actual photos are located.(Please see image below) Now keep in mind Lr does none destructive editing, so none of the raw files are actually ever changed. It however keeps a small database of the changes one appears to make to the files.

There is a huge difference in encapsulation and just putting all your settings into one database file.

Cheers,
Joe

Screen Shot 2014-04-27 at 3.00.49 AM.png

C

chas_m

Lightroom, like iPhoto, gives you the option of using a "vault" or just referencing the photos. At least when I fired up Lightroom 5 for this latest trial, the default was NOT to just reference photos, just like iPhoto.

I set it to just reference the photos as I am still testing it. There are things I like about it and things I'm not crazy about. But iPhoto also has the option (not on by default) to leave photos where they are and just use references.

The big differences to me (apart from the obvious interface changes and more advanced versions of the tools) is that Lightroom is WAY better than iPhoto at handling lots of RAW files (well, DNG files since it insists on only using Adobe's format) and as you say, it stores the record of what editing was done internally rather than creating an untouched "original" and edited version as iPhoto does.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), BenQ 32" 2.5k QHD Display
I think this is where you may have got confused on its file handling. Keep in mind if Lr moves the file, it will just move it to a none encapsulated folder. Like I shown above in my previous post. But I double checked to make sure Adobe didn't slip something new in on me and there isn't an type of vault option though. I didn't want to claim something and be wrong myself. :)
But Copy as DNG, converts the file to DNG and puts it in your designated photo library folder, also leaves the original file in place. Copy just copies the file to the library, but also leaves the original file. Move actually will remove the raw file or jpeg to the new library folder. Add will leave the file were it is located (even on your SD card), but adds the information to the catalog so it can keep up with any adjustments you make to the image.

Hoep this clears the confusion. I spend way more time in this program then I should. About 4 hours a day if not longer sometimes..

Screen Shot 2014-04-28 at 5.31.00 AM.png

C

chas_m

I think we're on the same page. "Copy as DNG" is the default options, so it creates a copy and puts it in its own library. "Add" does the same thing as iPhoto's referencing option.

What annoys me is when people say they don't like iPhoto making multiple (as in two) copies of their photos, so they're going to switch to Lightroom (or Aperture) instead, when the default in both programs is to make a copy of the originals! :)

Plenty of good reasons to use something other than iPhoto -- but that isn't one of them, that's all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Plenty of good reasons to use something other than iPhoto -- but that isn't one of them, that's all.

Very true.. :)

I apologize if we got confused..

Reaction score
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
I think we're on the same page. "Copy as DNG" is the default options, so it creates a copy and puts it in its own library. "Add" does the same thing as iPhoto's referencing option.

What annoys me is when people say they don't like iPhoto making multiple (as in two) copies of their photos, so they're going to switch to Lightroom (or Aperture) instead, when the default in both programs is to make a copy of the originals! :)

I use copy as dng off of my cf cards Chas, so no additional secondary copies until I export for screen or print. The ease of moving files from one machine to another (keeping the Lr modifications, metadata etc in tact) is also appealing for those of us who do. It also handles "edit in" much better then iPhoto. Not to mention the used of multiple discs for storage. None of this should come as a surprise though, Lr is a professional app, aperture is close but I don't like the UI.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
 iMac, iPad Mini, MBP, Air
I use Lightroom and Bridge to organize my photos. I just use iPhoto to see what I have on my computer from my phone.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.