Good application to organize photos in mac?

Reaction score
I just switched from windows to mac. So far its been good till i tried iPhoto.
I like to organize my collections of photos. I HATE how iPhoto reorganize the whole stuff on its own.
I notice the file sizes are different.. Does iPhoto resize photos?

Anyway WHAT i WANT is..... another apps...
Is there any other application that is similar to windows photo gallery in mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
Maybe you should start by specifying what you want the app. to do and try to understand what the capabilities of iPhoto are.

iPhoto is a great tool ( like there are many others ).

Cheers ... McBie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
nMP 6-core/32Gb/D700/512Gb: rMBP 15" 2.3GHz/16Gb/512Gb: iPhone 6 128Gb: iPad Air 2 128Gb: NEC PA322U
I'd give iPhoto a shot, watch some tutorials on it. It won't resize your pics so don't worry about that.

It's pretty easy to use and you can alway reorganise your photos the way you want. Plus you have a fairly comprehensive photo editor built-in too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac10.1 OS 10.6.3
iPhoto a great organizational tool

I can’t think of a better software than iPhoto for organizing and does not have a high learning curve.Pictures can be organized in many different ways. Events can separate pictures or combine pictures into new events, then given unique new names. You can group pictures by using faces, pictures can be tagged with keywords, you can rate your picture with one to five stars and you can easily search and find photos using these criteria.

So you can identify all pictures of a friend, by using faces by name, then further set a criteria by using keywords. So you can do a search using the criteria of friend’s name, then keywords such as Virginia, Christmas and a star rating and every picture that you have keyed with those words will show up.

IPhoto is very powerful for organizing photos. My suggestion is to start using this right now. Waiting until you have thousands of pictures is time consuming and tedious.

Apple has several short tutorials that are very helpful on their web site if you search on ilife then tutorials. Believe me it is an easy program to learn and you will not be disappointed.

One last comment iPhoto doesnot “reorganize the whole stuff on its own.” When you import pictures into iPhoto it organizes pictures into events by date the pictures where taken. It is up to you to organize them in a different manner.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
I'm with the OP. iPhoto is the weakest part of iLife.

Try Picasa, free, flexible, fast and no bespoke library package to deal with.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
I'm in the "iPhoto sucks" camp as well. I'm old school though, so my recommendation is going to be Finder.

I organize folders like:

Year-->Month/Day/Event Name

And then dump my files into there and use Adobe bridge to browse through the files in the folders.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
I agree that iPhoto is awful. Apple should be embarrassed. I have thousands of photos from both work and my personal life, the fact that I can't switch between my work photos and personal family photos without restarting iPhoto is preposterous.

I also tried Aperture 2 & Picasa for Mac. I found both to have overly cluttered interfaces. Too many buttons & options for the single purpose I wanted to use them for--browsing photos.

In the end, I took a que from Microsoft. I created a "My Pictures" folder and stuck everything in there. You can create as many folders and subfolders as you want and organize them any way you like.

The only problem with this method is with the iPhone. Since iTunes doesn't know what a subfolder is, neither does iTunes. So my work and personal photos are once again lumped together in a giant wad on my iPhone, but I can live with that and still be a happy person. If that's my biggest complaint in life, I'm doing ok.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core 2 Duo, 2.33 GHz, 24", 64G 3G iPad
I hear good things about photo mechanic, $150, a demo is available.

At that price you could think about aperture which is what I use.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac10.1 OS 10.6.3
help with picture folders on Windows?

I'm interested in the following from Jaygray "I created a "My Pictures" folder and stuck everything in there. You can create as many folders and subfolders as you want and organize them any way you like." How do you do this? How do you have the same picture in more than one folder?

I have about 7000 photos on my iMac. I have twin grandsons. I can put all of them in one folder entitled "Twins." But how would you put them in another folder, while keeping the originals in the Twins folder and have another folder that, say, is for their first year and then another third folder that is for the twins first year and specifically their first Christmas.

I use Windows at work, I work with baby pictures, but I don't know how to build three separate folders as I described above without duplicating pictures. i know how to do this in iPhoto but not on my windows machine. Any suggestions? Thanks

Reaction score
I own all the tools IPhoto 09, Photoshop Elements, Aperture 3, Lightroom etc... and I always go back to Adobe Lightroom.

I am now using Adobe Lightroom 3 BEta and it's fantastic, highly recommended! :Cool:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac with i7 and 4GB. yippie! iPhone 4 16gb-blk
Yeah, Lightroom. I'm surprised nobody mentioned it until 328iguy. Lightroom is friggin fantastic. Sure, it's more than iLife but it does so much more. Lightroom gets my vote.

Reaction score
iPhoto horror

Hi,

is there any way to put photos in specific folders (which I create and name), and have these photos ONLY in these folders ??

I do not want the way iPhoto organises my photos; I do not want to find pictures sorted by place, date, faces etc.

Right now, even if I create a new folder, I can only add a picture to it - but not MOVE it into that folder, so that I see that picture ONLY in that specific folder....

Is there a way ? Or do I really need to change to a different system ?

P.S: (Using Mac laptop with Ipad and Iphone, all tapping in in the iPhoto organising mess)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
Create new folders. Add what ever photos you want into those folders. Do not even look at the Events folder. Job done. iPhoto isn't duplicating photo's - what you see in the created folders are links to the originals.

Reaction score
Plan "C"

Well, thanks for the advice.

That sound the best way, I really agree.

But, hose folders are there ... and it just grinds my nuts.

I really do not want them there. It's annoying me. I have a few "funny" pictures from the internet downloaded, those "blackframed". You know, some kind of funny picture, some captioning added, makes it funny...
Those are added to "events", have a date, which is obviously completely random, coz it's tha date when it was created. Those photos show up in "faces", which is BS, because I obviously don't know the ppl ont them...

Well, short version - if anybody has ever heard of a way of getting rid of these "native Apple" folders - without changing the system, that is ;-) - please let me know.

I know that while using Mac's we're to a certain point subjected to Steve's will (may he rest in peace), but ... one always can hope.

Thanks

PS: No, don't have OCD... maybe close to, but no ;-P

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
You do not have to have 'Events' sorted by date - or even sorted at all.
Besides even within Events you can drag photos from one folder to another (or drag whole folder) and rename the folder. I have a folder called 'Funnies' and as events are sorted alphabetically it appears after 'Edward's 19th' and before 'Great Outdoors'.

Reaction score
still there

Thanks for your suggestions.

After I've done that however, the folders "events", "faces", "places" will however still be there, no ?

My question, condensed, is:"How do I get rid of them" ? Their "being there" is what upsets me.

I want them gone.

C

chas_m

I'm in the "iPhoto sucks" camp as well. I'm old school though, so my recommendation is going to be Finder.

I organize folders like:

Year-->Month/Day/Event Name

And then dump my files into there and use Adobe bridge to browse through the files in the folders.

I find this rather hilarious since you are just doing the manual work iPhoto would be doing for you. This is EXACTLY how it organizes photos!

(if anybody's read Huckleberry Finn, you probably know why I find this funny)

C

chas_m

Thanks for your suggestions.

After I've done that however, the folders "events", "faces", "places" will however still be there, no ?

My question, condensed, is:"How do I get rid of them" ? Their "being there" is what upsets me.

I want them gone.

Wow, I wish I had a life where I had so little going on that something like that -- a couple of alternative views (they are not folders) that I'm not required to ever look at -- would bother me that much ...

All three of those items are just alternate ways to see and find photos. They aren't folders, they're not duplicating anything. Events groups photos by time. Faces are a quick way to find all the photos of a particular person (useful, for example, when they die). Places is a quick way to find all the picture you've taken at a particular place.

That's all they are. If you don't want to use them, ignore them. You don't see me campaigning to have footnotes removed from all word processors just because I personally don't have any use for them, do you? :)

(this reminds me -- must launch campaign to rid the Mac platform of all spreadsheet programs since I hate them ...)

Take the "funny" pictures out of iPhoto and put them in a folder of their on in the Pictures folder, or start a new iPhoto library just for those if you prefer. No reason at all to have them mixed in with your personal pictures.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), BenQ 32" 2.5k QHD Display
Personally I use Adobe Lightroom. I can't stand how iPhoto screws with stuff. But if Lightroom isn't for you, Adobe Bridge should work well..

C

chas_m

Lightroom uses a nearly-identical "vault" system to iPhoto unless you choose to handle things differently. Just like iPhoto, where you can opt to just "reference" photos rather than copy them into its vault.

(I'm using Lightroom right now myself, but am not a huge fan so far. Love how well it handles RAW, but not used to its UI yet)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.