Voice Memo - iPod Touch - 8 GB

Reaction score
Recently (earlier this week) received iPod Touch 8 GB. I see it has Voice Memo. I attached an external mic and when I attempt to listen to the recording ... my voice, 1, 2, 3 etc., I either barely hear anything or mostly never hear anything but some scratch. I had purchased 3 of these little mic's when I ordered the iPod, very inexpensive, thinking they would work on the iPod. Help...... do I need to buy a different mic?

Thanks for your help. (a newbie) :Grimmace:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
A microphone has to be of the correct impedance and sensitive enough in order to work with the Touch. Cheap microphones, especially those small carbon ones generally do not work very well in high impedance inputs. Try another microphone - one that has a magnetic input. They cost more, but will give you greater input and amplitude. Check Radio Shack or Fry's (if there's one close by).

Regards.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thank you so much for your reply. I guess I'll take that as good news in the fact that there is nothing wrong with my new toy. We've ordered two other mic's tonight after receiving your reply. Its just sooooo hard not to be pulled in to buying those 2 cent microphones we find on Amazon. Thanks for your help. Love mac-forums. They always come through!

OP
S
Reaction score
Up date....

Just wanted to share the good news. I received another mic in the mail today. Still not the most expensive mic, but, it works great for what I wanted it for. Voice Memo here I come. Thanks so much for all your help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.