Office Mac on MacBook & iMac

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have recently bought the new iMac and have installed Office Mac (2004) which I also had installed on my MacBook.

I have used the same product key and they both still work fine even at the same time. Is this because they do allow it to be used on both a laptop and a desktop using the one product key?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Aaron

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBPU 13" (Late '09); 2.53GHz 4GB; OSX 10.6.3
What kind of licence did you buy when you bought Office? MS often provides several different types of licences with its office products, such as family licences. These family licences allow you to install the product on, say, 2 or 3 different Macs or PCs.

Now I am not sure whether MS provided similar licence types with Office for Mac, as I am using a student-licence myself (of which only one copy can be installed using the same licence key). Expect however that Microsoft will not just give you a licence for more Macs for free. Probably the second activation was paid for when you bought the product (they charge different prices for the different licence types, ofcourse).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
Just because you entered the product key twice on two installations doesn't mean you have two licenses. There's no easy way for Microsoft to check if you uninstalled the first installation prior to installing the second. You can use the key to make 10 installations and all will install correctly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBPU 13" (Late '09); 2.53GHz 4GB; OSX 10.6.3
Just because you entered the product key twice on two installations doesn't mean you have two licenses. There's no easy way for Microsoft to check if you uninstalled the first installation prior to installing the second. You can use the key to make 10 installations and all will install correctly.

Did you check that? On Windows OSes, you cannot install more than 5(?) copies of a 3-user licenced Office product. I've found that out the hard way. The product activation server will halt the process and ask for another serial.

EDIT: Nevermind, after a second read I think you are pointing at the same thing as I am? The fact that the license states x-users, but allows you to install it x+y times?

OP
E
Reaction score
It was a Home/Student version (3 licenses). However, I was given the software to install by a cousin of mine who had used two of the licenses and allowed me to use the 3rd, which I did on my MacBook.

Now that I have an iMac, due to the fact I no longer have the installation CD, I simply copied the Office Mac files from the MacBook and put them into my iMac Applications and it is working fine. It has never asked for a new product key and has not said the same licensed version is being used elsewhere.

Was just wondering if those right or not?

Thanks guys!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
No, it's not right. The Home and Student version of MS Office for the Mac boxed copy contains three serial numbers. It can be installed on up to three machines belonging to the same person or of the same household. (Which of course allows for college students to use a copy away from home.)

Since the copy you have has been installed 4 times, you are in violation of the MS EULA. Remove the copy on the MacBook or the iMac in order to be in compliance with the EULA.

Note that MS does not use product activation for its Mac Office suites, only for the Windows versions.

Regards.

OP
E
Reaction score
No, it's not right. The Home and Student version of MS Office for the Mac boxed copy contains three serial numbers. It can be installed on up to three machines belonging to the same person or of the same household. (Which of course allows for college students to use a copy away from home.)

Since the copy you have has been installed 4 times, you are in violation of the MS EULA. Remove the copy on the MacBook or the iMac in order to be in compliance with the EULA.

Note that MS does not use product activation for its Mac Office suites, only for the Windows versions.

Regards.

Thanks mate - I have just been informed that there is one product key left for this Mac Office as my cousin has only used one and I used another (for MacBook).

He cannot locate the CD and is unsure which product key was used for which. Therefore, because all three licenses have not been utilised, am I now no longer violating the MS EULA and will the program continue to work smoothly?

Thanks for your help!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You're OK. The important thing is that only 3 SNs were used and not 4. It doesn't really matter which SN was used on what machine as long as the license wasn't exceeded.

BTW, if your cousin registered with MS, have him give their customer support a call and ask them to replace the lost disks. MS will charge a small fee for the replacement disks. They of course, will not supply new SNs. :)

Regards.

OP
E
Reaction score
You're OK. The important thing is that only 3 SNs were used and not 4. It doesn't really matter which SN was used on what machine as long as the license wasn't exceeded.

BTW, if your cousin registered with MS, have him give their customer support a call and ask them to replace the lost disks. MS will charge a small fee for the replacement disks. They of course, will not supply new SNs. :)

Regards.

Appreciate your help mate thank you. I will continue to use both the MacBook and iMac freely.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.