How to wipe a Macbook Pro with broken screen?

Reaction score
Hey everyone I'm new here... I tried looking for an answer to this issue but have had no luck. If this question has been answered here in the past, excuse my ignorance and please provide me with a link if you can.

Here is the issue... I have a Macbook Pro 15.4-inch: 2.4GHz from 2007. About 2 months ago I got the black screen of death (computer turns on fine, but has black screen, and does not work with an external screen). I want to sell the Macbook Pro on eBay but I need to delete all my personal stuff from it first. Does anyone know how I could go about this?

Also, I do not have any of the original discs that came with the computer. I don't know if that's relevant but I just thought I'd put it out there.

Thanks.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Do you have another Mac? If so, you can do Target Disk Mode using a Firewire cable.

Alternatively, you could remove the HDD, connect it to an external adapter (like one of these: Newegg.com - VANTEC CB-ISATAU2 SATA/IDE to USB 2.0 Adapter) and format it to your heart's content from another, working machine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mbp
Sounds like you have the same issue that I had.

seems to be a graphics processor problem with MacBook Pro 15-inch and 17-inch models with NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT graphics processors - MacBook Pro (17-Inch, 2.4GHz) - MacBook Pro (15-Inch, 2.4/2.2GHz) - MacBook Pro (Early 2008)

"a repair will be done free of charge, even if your MacBook Pro is out of warranty."

MacBook Pro: Distorted video or no video issues

Book it into the apple genius bar, they should be able to tell you whats up with it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP i5 4GB DDR3, 500GB HDD 7200 + iPhone 4 32GB iOS4.1
Yeah, you should see if you can get it fixed by Apple for free first. They may be able to fiz it and get a fresh copy of the OS on it for you. Then you could sell it not in a broken state (you could sell it for more money), or keep it.

Goodluck,

-Ben

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
I doubt you will get a free OS installation if you don't have your installation discs. However, if it is GPU-related, they will be able to help you. In fact, it's the only way to go if you're on of the ones who had their 8600 give up on them.

Reaction score
Is there anything other than the VANTEC CB-ISATAU2 SATA/IDE to USB 2.0 Adapter that can get the job done as an alternative to firewire? I was looking for something pretty cheap. Is that as cheap as it's going to get?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Is there anything other than the VANTEC CB-ISATAU2 SATA/IDE to USB 2.0 Adapter that can get the job done as an alternative to firewire? I was looking for something pretty cheap. Is that as cheap as it's going to get?

Uh, yeah. $20 is about as cheap as it gets. Perhaps you can pick up a generic one in a local computer shop to avoid the shipping cost.

OP
L
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies. cwa107, I tried transferring and deleting files through another Mac with target disc mode and it worked. So thanks for the advice.

I'll give taking it to a genius bar a shot. Hopefully, they fix it for free :Smirk:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.