iMac G3 Wont Startup

Reaction score
So heres the deal. I keep messing around with websites and cant seem to find an answer to whats going on.

Alright here i go.

So i get a iMac g3 with the slot loading cd in the front from a family friend. Now when I do startup the computer you do hear the 'Dong'. The apple logo is there with the spinning wheel but will not go past that.

I tried the following:

1. There is a CD that came with the computer that will diagnose any hardware problems. No issues with the HD, RAM, or Motherboard from what it says. But it does say that the computers time is like 00:00:04 at the date 01.01.1904. So i assume the battery is dead to the motherboard. Im wondering if that is the problem or not. From some other websites im reading is that with this specific computer you don't need the battery to run it and it might be another issue. I'm going to get a battery today.

2. Reset the PMU.

3. Boot the specific disc (ALT/Option) and it will work until it starts to boot the disc.

4. Hitting the computer because i got frustrated. :p

Any constructive criticism or feedback let me know.

-&drew

Reaction score
Yes you need a new battery and there may be an issue with the OS. First do the battery. You have to take the T shaped bottom off. Then the silver cover and your there. Its a 1/2 AA lithium 3.6 volts, Its in a black holder with a top on it. Put the new one in right..theres + - marks in the bottom of the holder.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Following on from Mac SK's good advice, be warned that access to a G3 iMac's battery is difficult. Be careful about extracting the old battery, making sure it doesn't drop into the casing cavity while the iMac is tipped on its screen face.

Collin Bl suggests making an open-ended v-shaped 'bandage' of masking tape to lower the new battery into position before pushing it firmly home with long-nosed pliers or similar. You can gently wiggle the tape off the battery with long tweezers.

OP
A
Reaction score
alrighty so

i went and bought the new battery at the radio shack and still find myself in the same position. I hear the hard drive spinning... and to clearify it is not clicking. so im so lost on what i should do next. :Angry-Tongue:

Reaction score
i went and bought the new battery at the radio shack and still find myself in the same position. I hear the hard drive spinning... and to clearify it is not clicking. so im so lost on what i should do next. :Angry-Tongue:

Are you saying you installed the battery? Ok we need to know what OS is installed on the G3? You say spinning wheel...I go with 10.2. is thats whats on the machine. If thats it. The spinning wheel thing is caused by a font that will not load for the OSX splash screen. You boot from the install CD and run the disk repair utility.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.