• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Is there a way to do this...

Reaction score
I apologize if this is a really stupid question, I only recently switched to a mac from a PC and started using iMovie.

I have already started this project in iMovie and I am approaching the home stretch so I'd prefer not to switch software. I would like to end my video with the introduction of a couple people, so I would like to be able display their picture on one side of the screen and have their credentials scroll on the other side.

Unfortunately the picture I have of these people are all "vertical" pictures, to I can not seem to make the green-screen effect work for my needs. I think I could do the effect if I could create an image that was actually the original image next to itself, but I don't know how to do that on a mac. On my old computer, a PC I would have just done that in the Paint application.

Any ideas how I can do this effect (picture on one side, scrolling text on the other with "vertical" pictures)? Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
You play some tricks with the scrolling text and picture-in-picture option.

I created some scrolling text and placed the name on the left side only. I cut the other text on the right side. I hit the return key several times between name entries and the 'Starring' text too. I then placed images over the video and choose the picture-in-picture mode when the popup came up, and sized and placed the picture appropriately. For each image and set a time of 2 seconds and Dissolve PIP effect and also to use a shadow. I was also able to do some limited cropping.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
...a PC I would have just done that in the Paint application.

If you need a Paint alternative, you can use the free Gimp or Paintbrush to accomplish anything you would with Paint.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.