MacBook LCD problem/question

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook A1181
I have a 13'' MacBook A1181 and my LCD cracked leaving about 10% of the screen visible but everything else still functions properly including the backlight. So I ordered a new LP133WX1-(TL)(A1) (which is the same as the original) LCD screen off eBay for $90 and when it got here I installed it and couldn't get the backlight to work. Then I realized that the one they sent me was LP133WX1-(TL)(B1). the only difference i can notice between the two is the place on the back where the data cable plugs in has 30 pins instead of 20 but they had a little adapter thing so that my data cable fits fine. so i sent them an e-mail and they said that the one they sent me is compatible with my laptop.

i even got the screen working perfectly for a few minutes and after i had screwed everything back in place i wiggled the top half of my laptop slightly and the screen went out. now the backlight is not working for my new lcd but if i re-connect my cracked lcd the backlight and everything still works so ive decided that there is no problem with my inverter board or anything else.

so my questions are
1) what is the difference between the TLA1 and the TLB1 lcd screens
2) is it okay for me to use the TLB1 on my laptop
3) if so, is it possible that the screen they sent me is defective and i should just have them send me a different one or should i return it all together and look for the right model

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I would return it and buy the correct one. Also, my advice is to stay away from computer parts resellers on eBay. Certainly there are good deals to be had there on parts and other items relating to computers. However, when you run into a situation like you just have, the experience can go down hill real fast. I hope you can get a refund.

Buy your replacement screen from these folks. ifixit They are highly recommended and will send you the right part. It's going to cost more - but you'll be assured of getting a high quality display the same as came with your machine from Apple.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.