Chronological Albums for iPod

O

october

I am a pretty organized person..so sometimes the little things bug me..so maybe someone can help me with this question.

i want the albums to be listed in chronological order, so when I click on the artist it lists the albums from first to last..instead of alphabetical. I'm sure on actual iTunes I can make sure they have the year put in the info and then organize that way..but it wouldnt be reflected on the iPod that way..

Is there any way?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
create a playlist for each year/artist... would take a long time, but that is the only way I know how to do it, Don't know if there is a way to get it to show up on the ipod like that with out doing it like it. Sorry If I am not much help, just know you probably wanted a fast answer and that was all I could come up with.

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
If you do have every one of your songs labeled with the correct year, then you could make a couple "smart playlists" to help you organize your music to your needs, but I don't think there is a way to organize your library that way unfortunately. But the smart playlists will automatically update, whenever you do add more music, so it's basically "Set it and forget it". And the smart playlists will of course transfer over the to iPod.

In the menu bar, go to File, New Smart Playlist, then set up the smart playlist to your specific rules, similar to what I have in the attachment below.

itunesscr.png

OP
M

Moadib

october said:
I am a pretty organized person..so sometimes the little things bug me..so maybe someone can help me with this question.

i want the albums to be listed in chronological order, so when I click on the artist it lists the albums from first to last..instead of alphabetical. I'm sure on actual iTunes I can make sure they have the year put in the info and then organize that way..but it wouldnt be reflected on the iPod that way..

Is there any way?

I do this. The only way I found was to name the albums with the year included in the album title, e.g. under Dylan you would have in the album title field;

"1965 - Highway 61 revisited"
"1966 - Blonde on blonde"
etc.

I find this works very well.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.