Can you transfer DVD onto Ipad?

Reaction score
Hello All,

Thinking of purchasing an iPad. Has anyone transfered there DVD's to the iPad. I travel alot and would like to take the iPad on the road with me instead of my computer. I like to workout with P90X but it requires me to bring along my DVD's to workout. Is there anyway for me to get my P90X DVD's onto the iPad? Thank you for the reply's.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.5, 6gb ram, 500gb hard drive. 2010 13" MacBook Air 1.86 C2D, 4gb ram, 128gb HD.
Use something like Handbrake to convert them to MP4 then just transfer them onto your Pad. I've got P90X on my iPhone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
As mentioned, converting the video files will be the toughest part. Probably will require some searching and some trial and error.
This article from Cnet has some helpful tips to load the videos onto your iPad once you get them properly formatted. LINK It also suggests ways to convert the files.

Reaction score
wow... it's going to be awesome when all of the kinks get worked out, and you can easily transfer high quality video to this thing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Not sure what kinks people are referring to because it's ridiculously easy to transfer videos to the iPad. Handbrake does a great job at converting videos and DVDs. Just select the file/disc, select the Apple Universal or AppleTV preset, then hit Encode and you're set.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
I was just explaining this to my wife last night when she said she heard you can't print from the iPad. Umm, wrong-o!
How do you perform tasks on the iPhone, iPod Touch, and iPad? With APPS! Apple doesn't want to pre-load your device with a bunch of stuff that you may or may not want/use. It's up to you to personalize it with the apps you select for your needs.
"There's an app for that!" ;)

Reaction score
so, i must be an idiot because i can not get Handbrake to work. Ive downloaded the application. I put a DVD into the drive, and i run Handbrake. I go to the Source icon on the menu bar and a listing of Devices shows up. I click on the name of the DVD and click Open. An error message comes up saying it can not find VCL and do I want to download it now. I click on the Get VCL button and download a version of it. I try Handbrake again and now I get an error message that VCL is not 64 bit. I go back to the VCL download page and there is a note under the 32 bit version stating that until further notice no 64 bit version will be produced - but the 32 bit version will work.

So, I download the 32 bit version, copy it to my Applications, run Handbrake again, try to open the DVD and get the same no 64 bit error message.

What am I doing wrong?? I just want to be able to transfer some of my concert DVD's that are not available in iTunes to my Ipad...am i out of luck???

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Check in at the handbrake forums.

Reaction score
thanks! i was able to resolve the issue from a posting on the Handbrake forum.

So, this is my first experience trying to convert DVD's to a medium that can be played on anything else (e.g. computer, Ipad, etc.). Is there always going to necessarily be a degradation in the quality of the image, regardless of the Handbrake settings that I use - for example, the picture looks pretty good but it certainly is not as crisp as the DVD itself.

Is this just a trade-off that you have to live with in order to convert the DVD to a format that is usable by other devices - or, is there still room for improvement based on altered settings.

I basically used the Normal settings in Handbrake and used:

Video Codec: H.264(x264)
Framerate: Same as Source
2-Pass Encoding: On
Average Bitrate: 1500 (I am assuming when using this setting that it deactivates the Target Size and Constant Quality options, as they are grayed out)

Should I be using settings other than these to optimize converting standard quality DVD's??

thanks!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.