MacBook Pro with very Slow Reboot

Reaction score
Ok Friends I need some help. My Macbook Pro 2.33 Intel, 2GB RAM with 43GB free HD takes nine minutes to reboot. I have OS X 10.6.3 installed. Take two minutes to show the background and the icons and 7 minutes to allow me to use any application or file. I tried all of the following:
1. Using the "Run Installation Disk Repair and Repair Permission - No Solution to Problem.
2. Reset NVRAM - No solution to problem
3. Deleted unwanted startup items - No solution to problem
4. Reset System Management Controller - No solution to problem
... any idea ...Thanks:)

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Have you tried downloading something like OnyX to run some maintenance? On top of this, it is very possible that there is a daemon or process running in the background during boot or login that isn't shown in your Login Items. What software have you installed?

OP
C
Reaction score
Have you tried downloading something like OnyX to run some maintenance? On top of this, it is very possible that there is a daemon or process running in the background during boot or login that isn't shown in your Login Items. What software have you installed?

Thanks Vans, I tried with OnyX. Verify HD appears to be OK. Run Maintenance and a deep cleaning, but reboot still taking 9 minutes... any other suggestions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mbp
I'd do a fresh reinstall. Just make sure you have a good back up.

C

chas_m

A "nuke and pave" will probably solve the problem, but if you're curious, you could simply examine the system.log files in console to see what's taking so long. Sounds like something important (probably more than one something) is "timing out" during the startup process.

OP
C
Reaction score
I'd do a fresh reinstall. Just make sure you have a good back up.

Thanks James, I did a fresh reinstall yesterday. Now reboot takes around 5 Minutes without reinstalling my backup files. It is crazy!!!

OP
C
Reaction score
A "nuke and pave" will probably solve the problem, but if you're curious, you could simply examine the system.log files in console to see what's taking so long. Sounds like something important (probably more than one something) is "timing out" during the startup process.

Thanks Chas - I did a fresh reinstall yesterday, now complete reboot takes 5 minutes. Sorry for my ignorance but where can I see the system.log files? Your help is appreciated.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
When you say fresh install, is that a truly fresh install (ie. right after you install OS X and before you do anything with your machine)? If so, something is definitely wrong with this picture. Try running the Apple Hardware Test (instructions here).

OP
C
Reaction score
OP
C
Reaction score
When you say fresh install, is that a truly fresh install (ie. right after you install OS X and before you do anything with your machine)? If so, something is definitely wrong with this picture. Try running the Apple Hardware Test (instructions here).

It was a truly fresh install (No files, applications or other programs installed after the OS X installation). Immediately I boot-up twice taking 9 minutes the complete restart. I did the Apple Hardware Test and everything is OK.

...no idea my friends :-(

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.