Switching Keyboards between a 17" Powerbook G4 and a MacBook Pro??

Reaction score
So I spilled water on my boyfriend's 15in MacBook Pro about 2 weeks ago. Luckily it didn't ruin the whole computer, but it did damage the keyboard. At first the whole keyboard didn't work and the backlight wouldn't turn off, but slowly, with time, the keys mostly all come back to life, except the shift, space and delete button. My Dad has a dead 17in iBook G4 and what I'm wonder is, can I replace the Macbook keyboard with the iBook keyboard?? They look exactly the same and they are the same width and height. I just need to know if plugging in the keyboard from a different model computer would do damage or not.

Thank you! I'd love to not have to buy a new keyboard if I don't have to..

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
There is no iBook G4 17". Just 12 and 14". If it's a Powerbook 17" G4, I don't see the keyboard working. Is this MBP an older Machine? All the newer MBP's have a totally different keyboard than any of the Powerbook Macs.

OP
N
Reaction score
Yes, my mistake.. it is a 17in Powerbook G4, not an iBook. The MacBook Pro is about 3 or 4 years old, so it's not totally new.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Do you know the specs on the Macbook Pro? Am doing some checking now and really need to know exactly what Macbook Pro it is. CPU speed and whether it's a Core Duo or Core 2 Duo.

Have been doing some checking and find no reference indicating that Powerbook keyboard is the same as on the early MBP's.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.