Solutions for file sharing?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Server, 2xiMac, Macbook Pro 15, Macbook Pro 13
Hi all

Just wanted to ask advice for setting up a better file sharing solution.

My wife and I run a small design studio, where we have a three macs, and work on and use the same files, images, etc.

These files currently reside on my Mac and we have tried setting up file sharing, so that she can access and work on them, but due to issues with permissions we have given up and we share my machine for working on.

What would be the best solution for creating a centralised solution that we could put all the files on and then acess and work on from each machine.

thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
what sort of permission problems do you run into? you can setup permissions for file sharing under System Preferences/Sharing/File Sharing

and to be clear, it's generally a very bad idea for 2 people to be working with the same exact file on the same filesystem, you will eventually overwrite each others' work progress

anyway, you can setup a purely network drive accessible for any computer in the same network, these sort of drives come ready with an ethernet port ... this solution is essentially the same as sharing a computer disk, except it's considered to be safer since it's only used for those files and no system data

some routers/wifi access points also provide a usb port to connect a drive to be shared across the network

as far as a "centralized solution" - that would be a database management system, managing multiple user edits on same data and so forth, although that's not the way to go for you

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.