Ipod Classic doesn't charge

Reaction score
Hi everybody!
First of all, I talked with a guy from the Austrian/German support today but their servers are down... so he can't give me the information I need.

The Problem: I can't charge my Ipod classic 120gb either via PC or wall device. The cable should be ok cause I tried with an other Ipod and works fine. When I plug the cable into the Ipod, it recognizes a cable (Connect to power image) but won't charge so I don't know what's wrong.

Please help!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
How old is that iPod, it could be just a tired battery

OP
H
Reaction score
it's 14 months old. it's the latest generation of the classic series. I think it can't be the batterie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
You could try resetting the ipod with iTunes

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
it's 14 months old. it's the latest generation of the classic series. I think it can't be the batterie

It could very well be a dead battery. Just because it's 14 months old doesn't mean that it should be well and good. I've had batteries fail sooner than that.

You can try a reset from iTunes as was suggested but I suspect you're looking at replacing the battery. If it's not the battery, then it could be the charging circuit that has gone bad. I've never swapped out a battery in a classic so I can't tell you if it's an easy job or not. You can go to the ifixit web site and look up the step by step instructions.

Regards.

OP
H
Reaction score
You could try resetting the ipod with iTunes
my PC doesn't recognize the Ipod when plugged in so I can't reset it with Itunes.

will check the iFixit website, thx for the hint!

OP
H
Reaction score
hmm maybe it could be moisture, because some parts in the dock connector are green. Does anybody know how to get this off?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The "green" you're seeing is corrosion from moisture or humidity. Since the dock connector is small and delicate you have to be real careful about cleaning it. It actually might be best to buy a new dock.

Anyway, try seating and reseating the iPod until you can see some shine on the connectors. I've done that before with some success. Otherwise if you have a very small jeweler's burnishing kit, that will work to clean the connectors.

Regards.

OP
H
Reaction score
yes it's definitely the cause of the corrusion. What do you mean with seating and reseating?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Connecting, removing, connecting, removing...... The friction might remove some of the corrosion or enough of it so that it'll make contact again and charge. Give it a try.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.