Automatic Connect not Automatic

Reaction score
Ever since I enabled the Guest Account for a relative to use, now when either the Guest account or my account is logged into, a box comes up asking me to select a network. Every time I reboot, turn off and then turn it on the next day, sleep and wake, it doesn't matter, I keep having to select my network, despite it having set to automatically connect to the network of my house. What's going on here, and what may have caused it? Is there a fix?

Once already since enabling the Guest Account have I had to re-enter the WEP key. It remembers it now, but I still have to keep selecting it to connect to the network.

I have disabled Guest Account for now, but even after that I still have to select my home network.
(Mac OS X Snow Leopard, MacBook)

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Number 1. Get rid of WEP. It can be hacked by any 12 yr old neighbor that takes an inkling to do so in a matter of minutes. If your router doesn't do WPA and preferably WPA2, it's seriously time to upgrade.

We have also seen issues time and again be resolved merely by changing from WEP with Macs in general.

You will want to go into the advanced settings and delete all known networks and read.

OP
C
Reaction score
Number 1. Get rid of WEP. It can be hacked by any 12 yr old neighbor that takes an inkling to do so in a matter of minutes. If your router doesn't do WPA and preferably WPA2, it's seriously time to upgrade.

We have also seen issues time and again be resolved merely by changing from WEP with Macs in general.

You will want to go into the advanced settings and delete all known networks and read.

I'll have to seriously lobby for the change of that (specifically the WEP to something else, I know the router can do other types of security) because my Dad knows all about this.

And as for the advanced settings, you mean to delete all known networks and re-add them?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Yep, re-add.

The iPad has it's own idea of what word you meant when you misspell something.
It's a little obnoxious at times.

OP
C
Reaction score
Yep, re-add.

The iPad has it's own idea of what word you meant when you misspell something.
It's a little obnoxious at times.

I know. The iPod touch and iPhone do that, and I turn it off LOL.

So, after I've deleted them, I create a new network, name it and recreate a security code, or do I just find the network and enter the key?

Are WEP keys hex code? I guess it is easy to figure out. We do have a stringent firewall setup, but that means nothing I guess?

And if all else fails, reinstall Mac OS X? When I first booted my MacBook, I used wireless Migration Assistant coming off of my Mac mini (and it hasn't/has yet to do the same thing).

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just re-add the existing network for now.

Then do it again after you convince your dad it's time to upgrade the encryption.

OP
C
Reaction score
And if all else fails, reinstall Mac OS X? When I first booted my MacBook, I used wireless Migration Assistant coming off of my Mac mini (and it hasn't/has yet to do the same thing that my MacBook did, but then again, I hardly ever sleep or shut down my mini. It just locks after I tell the display to sleep).

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
And thanks for the tip. Didn't even think about looking for a setting to turn it off. That's much better.

OP
C
Reaction score
Well, I removed all known networks and then re-added my home network. I sleep the computer and then come back later and log in to find that I still have to click on my network to get into it (but I still don't have to type in the key). So doing as instructed below/above didn't work.

Last resort would be to reinstall Mac OS X (provided I've backed up my MB through Time Machine), right?

Any other fixes?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.