San Francisco Bay Area's iPad river runth dry.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, Black, 2.0GHz C2D, 2GB RAMs, 160GB HD
Today, thanks to uncle Sam giving my Tax Return (its late, don't ask. Long story) I decided I'd go grab me an iPad. To be more specific a 16GB 3G iPad.

I called all the Apple Stores and Best Buys within 40 mile radius... Nothing, Nada, Zelch, Zip, Zero stock. And here I figured by the time I am ready to buy they'll be available in stock... HA!

So I reserved one at the Palo Alto Apple Store, and supposedly I have to wait for 7-10 days for in store pick up. :Grimmace:

On a side note:

I would love to see all the folks that said the iPad will be a flop and that it will rot on the shelves of the Apple Stores. Bite Your Tongues folks, and think twice before you yap. :Angry-Tongue::Angry-Tongue:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Oh man, that sucks. Talk about money burning a hole in your pocket.

I've had my 3G iPad since day one and I love it! It's definitely worth the wait :)

OP
MinaMACMan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
you sir nailed... Money Burning a Massive Hole..

Thanks for rubbing it Kash :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 2.66GHz Quad-Core 8GB, Radeon 4870 * MacBook Pro 17" 3.06 Core 2 Duo, 8GB Ram * 64GB 3G iPad
Worth the wait, hang in there! ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PC Baby!
Just so you know....uncle Sam gave you nothing. It is money you earned that they allowed you to keep... Big difference....

Anyway, hope you get your 16g soon! I have had mine almost 6 weeks, and I don't know how inp got a long without it.....!

OP
MinaMACMan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Worth the wait, hang in there! ;D

Thanks man, I am patiently waiting. I am filling my time by looking at good cases and downloading some Apps. 35 so far, not including my library of iPod Touch Apps.

'twas my pleasure :p

Glad you got some pleasure out of it... at least on of us did.

Just so you know....uncle Sam gave you nothing. It is money you earned that they allowed you to keep... Big difference....

Anyway, hope you get your 16g soon! I have had mine almost 6 weeks, and I don't know how inp got a long without it.....!

Bremen, I am fully aware of that fact. It feels good all the same to have that cash back so I can treat myself to the magical, revolutionary world of iPad. :D

Any must have Apps that you guys recommend? Also what about a good Case that is not the Apple Case and still would include a stand?

Let me know.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you have a lot of videos or TV shows on your computer, I highly suggest AirVideo. Allows you to stream straight from your computer, no need to convert and use up space on the iPad itself. Also lets you stream from outside your house, which is great if you travel frequently.

If you're into comics, then there are a ton of comics apps available. If you enjoy reading magazines, definitely check out Zinio. GoodReader if you want to store and view documents. Dropbox app if you have a Dropbox account. There are several Twitter apps if you're into that, my favorite is Twitterrific. There are some fun games like Labyrinth and Harbor Master. Definitely check out Magic Piano, it's fun to mess around with and only costs a buck.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
And i think Atomic Bowser has taken over from Safari now. It's already made it to the start bar.

Sent off a note to the developer after i couldn't use the message box in the forum and had a response back in about 10 minutes a couple of days ago. Just had to change the 'identify browser as' to Safari Desktop or Mobile Safari - iPad.

A tabbed browser with full screen browsing. Currently has about a half dozen search engines available from the search field including Amazon, Wiki... And it's only a buck also.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Atomic Browser looks interesting. Going to give the free version a try

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
My wife hadn't really touched mine since I got it. She got up early and played with it for an hour this morning.

Wanted to know how to play farmville on it, so i opened up cloud browse for her. It looks like crud. Then asked what games she could get and showed her the app store. Don't think she's looked at it on her iPhone in the 3 years she's had it. Found about 20 games she wants.

So guess what? There goes my tax refund i'd been sitting on.

Reaction score
Keep calling best buy. I saved for one for dh for his birthday and when i finally had enough in late April, i couldn't find one anywhere. I ordered one on apple. A week and a half later it was still sitting there sayiing item not shipped. I was running errands one day and quickly went into best buy and low and behold, they had a bunch! I cancelled the one from apple and picked up his on the spot. Keep trying!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Well considering that Apple had to delay the international pre-orders a week after just 2 days of preorder. In those 2 days it seems people ordered all the ones Apple had allocated to the rest of the world.

Considering that, I can easily see that your local Apple store is sold out. Not being able to keep in stock cause it sells out sells out so fast is a pain in the *** but I'm sure it's a pain most companies would love to have.

OP
MinaMACMan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This is exactly why I love coming to Mac-Forums. You guys are awesome for moral support and helping ease the pain of waiting.

Bob, Atomic Browser sounds pretty good. I have a question though. If you are in a separate App, and there is a hyperlink, when you click on it can you set it to open in Atomic Browser. I guess my real question is, can you set Atomic Browser as the default?

Thanks for all the recommendations, keep them coming. :D

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Haven't looked for that yet. Just moved my bookmarks over to it this morning. You're right that currently, links in Mail, 1Password, etc. open in Safari. The advantage of Safari is that it has a bookmarks bar for all your favorites. It's really not a bad browser either.

OP
MinaMACMan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It might be a problem with the SDK, it is probably not allowed in the iPhone OS to knock Safari off of its DEFAULT browser throne. Who knows that might change later.

I still might give Atomic a whirl any ways... The wait is killing me, this thread is doing a good job pacifying me though :D

OP
MinaMACMan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Here is an update:

I am a bit infuriated by Best Buy. Yesterday, I found a 64GB iPad 3G and it said it was in stock in a store close to work, I go there and they had sold it 5 mins before I show up.

Today, I call the stores, and they have only the 32GB and I tried to ask them if they can hold them for me and I'll be there in 20 mins, they told me now... I say well, no worries. Can you at least tell me how many you have to see if it is worth the trip? All they say is that they have few!!

Why couldn't they set it up so that you can order online and pick up at the store? That would make life a lot easier.

Oh well, I am glad I have a reservation with the Apple Store anyways. Hope I get it soon.

OP
MinaMACMan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
wOOt wOOt... This the first post from my new iPad 3G. Finally this morning I got the email from the Apple Store and here it is. I am completely blown away.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Congrats on finally getting your hands on one! You'll be glued to that thing for a few days straight before getting back to your life :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, late 2012 model, 21"
MinaMACMan, I feel your pain. I put down a preorder for the 3G model before it was released but after the ship date slipped by a week. I was hoping to have it by the following Friday after launch so I could play with it over the weekend, but no such luck. It shipped on Friday, May 7 and arrived Monday, May 10 in the morning before I left for work. In all, I had to wait an extra 10 days for mine.

Don't worry, though. The wait will be over before you know it. When it is, it will be totally worth it. I have hardly put mine down since I received it almost two weeks ago.

Now if only the wait for the Apple case was a little shorter (as in not 3-4 weeks)...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.