extending wireless network - 2 internet connections

Reaction score
I use a Time Capsule to create a wireless network in my house. I have an office above the garage in a separate building and the signal is patchy. I understand I could use Airport Extreme or similar in the office building to create a bridge to the Time Capsule but I am concerned that the signal to the bridge might not be consistently good either. My office does have a separate internet connection, though. Could I make use of 2 internet connections (one in the house and the other in the office) but create a single network which all the family's computers could use? Is that just impossible? Is it possible but not of much benefit and would I therefore be better off having 2 networks anyway - one based on each internet connection?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Welcome to the Forum. Certainly you could extend a Network by using another Airport Unit. To get a good signal between 2 buildings i had to get best 'line of sight' - bookshelves, bricks etc reduce the signal and if u have Airports that are lined up thru opposing windows it helps extend the range.

Just checked my notes - needed 2 of the round Airport Extremes to get usable signal line of sight between opposing windows but just one of the square Airport Extremes did the trick easily for same distance. 112ft or 34 metres.

OP
M
Reaction score
Many thanks. I bought an Airport Express to extend my network and it works perfectly. The signal strength indicator jumped straight to max. Set-up was very easy too.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.