Canceling a Boot Camp Installation?

Reaction score
Hi. I have a question regarding a problem I'm experiencing following an attempt to setup a Boot Camp installation on my Macbook. As my internal Superdrive is faulty (and Apple wants over $700 to fix it, which isn't going to happen any time soon), I was going to use my external DVD drive to install Windows, as I have been able to do with both Leopard and Snow Leopard. Turns out, you can't install Windows thru Boot Camp from an external DVD drive. Though I am aware of the rEFIt workaround, and will attempt to do that later, for now I simply wish to forgo the installation altogether.

The problem is that now, when I restart my Macbook, it freezes on the Apple logo - which occasionally flashes with a circle with a dash through it or a folder - and won't boot. Now, if I hold down the ALT key, all is fine: my Macintosh HD partition appears, and I can boot from it no problem. But, I have to do that; it won't boot to the Mac HD and OSX on its own.

What I guess is going on is that something in the Macbook is still trying to start the Windows Boot Camp installation, and isn't finding a bootable Windows disc, which freezes the computer. If this is correct, is there someway I can get my Macbook to cancel this Boot Camp attempt? I've already deleted the Boot Camp partition, thinking that might do the trick, but to no avail. If this is not correct, would anyone be able to shed some light on what's going on? Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 2.66GHz i5, 1TB HDD, 12GB RAM, OS X 10.7.3, iPod Classic 160GB,iPad 1 64GB Wi-fi, iPhone 4S
If you haven't tried it already, you can go into System Preferences and select the Macintosh HD in the Startup Disk section to see if that helps. If that doesn't work, hopefully someone else will have more ideas.

OP
G
Reaction score
If you haven't tried it already, you can go into System Preferences and select the Macintosh HD in the Startup Disk section to see if that helps. If that doesn't work, hopefully someone else will have more ideas.

That did the trick, Chef; should have thought of that myself. Thanks so much for the advice. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 2.66GHz i5, 1TB HDD, 12GB RAM, OS X 10.7.3, iPod Classic 160GB,iPad 1 64GB Wi-fi, iPhone 4S
Glad that worked for you. It was all I could think of :)

Reaction score
got same problem

Hi, i had the same problem and i did the same to fix it.

But now i want to install windows again but it won't let me it says that my HD is not availebol for install.

Do you have any idea what i could do to make it work ?

Thanks in advance

C

chas_m

To fix the Superdrive:

1. Buy a $50 Firewire external case large enough to fit a burner.
2. Buy a $30 burner and stick it in the case. There ya go.

OR

If you really want to fix the internal Superdrive, I would bet that some online retailer like iFixit.com would do the job for a fraction of what Apple wants. For that matter, some local (Apple authorized!) repair place can probably do it as well.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.