Switching off Mac with a Virtual Machine open

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2.26Ghz 8GB RAM
I am used to switching off my Mac when I'm done rather than choosing sleep. My question is, if I were to use VMWare Fusion or Parallels rather than Bootcamp for Windows, would I have to shutdown the virtual machine before switching off the Mac or is there another way that doesn't make switching on/off the pair such a lengthy process.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
You have to shut the VM down first if your not going to just put your Mac to sleep.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2.26Ghz 8GB RAM
Thanks. Which means I guess that many people using a virtual machine will just put the Mac to sleep rather than shut it down.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBPU 13" (Late '09); 2.53GHz 4GB; OSX 10.6.3
Thanks. Which means I guess that many people using a virtual machine will just put the Mac to sleep rather than shut it down.

Alternatively, Parallels allows you to "suspend" the VM instead of having it shut down every time you close Parallels. (Not sure about VMWare, but it probably offers similar functionality.) This way, you can boot and stop the Virtual Machine relatively fast in case you need the memory, or need to shut down your Mac. (The current state of the Virtual Machine will be saved and then loaded upon "rebooting" the VM.)

Reaction score
Both Fusion and Parallels allow you to "suspend" the VM prior to exiting. Shutting down a VM is like a physical power off. Once you suspend a VM you can shut down the Mac no problem.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.