How to close OS X programs?

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I've been using Windows OS for 15 years and just bought a new MacBook. I have lot's of questions about it's OS X system. Can you please answer if you can?

1. How do you close an application? Sometimes clicking on red button just minimizes it.

2. Sometimes when I open a new program, it opens behind my active Window. How do I make all newly opened programs to open in front of an active window?

Thanks
New Mac switcher ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums and to save you some hassle ~ we have gals here as well.

In the Menu Bar go to the Progam Name, slide down to Quit and click! For the other question, it is up to the Application, check this explanation out:-

http://forums.macosxhints.com/archive/index.php/t-68300.html

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, late 2012 model, 21"
You can also quit programs by typing Command + Q.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
Clicking the red "Close" button does just that... it only closes the window, it does NOT quit the application. You actually have to choose "Quit" from the application menu or press Command+Q (that is, the Command and Q keys at the same time) if you want to quit the application. Just one of the little differences between Windows and OS X. Even if you can't see any open windows, an application is still open and running if you don't actually quit it.

If you're unsure which applications are open, check out your dock. Open applications will have a little white dot under their icons. Or you can press Command+Tab to bring up the application switcher. Tap the Tab key while still holding down the Command key to cycle through the open applications. Swiping four fingers across your Macbook's track pad will also bring up the application switcher if you've activated four finger swipes in System Preferences>Track Pad.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Clicking the red "Close" button does just that... it only closes the window, it does NOT quit the application.

With a few exceptions. Some programs/accessories that can have only one window open at a time will actually Quit when you click the red button. Among them; Calculator and Dictionary.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
With a few exceptions. Some programs/accessories that can have only one window open at a time will actually Quit when you click the red button. Among them; Calculator and Dictionary.

and System Prefs! But yea, like any *nix system... gotta tell that app to quit. Command Q.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And OP if you are new to Macs, this 'Command' key referred to has the little Apple logo on it and no name.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Or some just have this ⌘

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
I thought they stopped using the little apple logo on the Command key. My keyboard doesn't have it, and neither has any of the newer Macs I've seen recently.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Some overseas keyboards have very little other than symbols. Which is OK if u know what this means ⌥ but a bit confusing for the uninitiated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Yep. It's another language.

⌘ = command
⌃ = control
⌥ = option
⇧ = shift
⇪ = caps lock
⇥ = Tab Key
⎋ = Escape Key
⏏ = Eject Key
⌫ = delete (the one above the return key)
⌦ = forward delete (the one in the page up/down/home/end cluster)
⌧ = clear
⏎ = return

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.