Wifi keeps disconnecting!

Reaction score
Hi, I'm a new macbook user and just bought a macbook pro 15" about 2 weeks ago thinking that it would be much faster and easier to use.... but so far has been pretty disappointing! I'm getting pretty annoyed and frustrated with it coz my internet connection keeps disconnecting every 15minutes or so... especially since I'm trying to download softwares and games for the mac. It's been on for almost a day and a half now just trying to finish its downloads.

I'm using my 5yr old IBM laptop now to post this coz my wifi on this computer has not disconnected and downloads are way faster than my new Macbook pro "core i7"... what the?

Using linksys router.

Installed softwares on my macbook so far are:
Transmission
Yahoo Messenger
Firefox
Google Chrome
Stanza
Steam
Perian
Zipeg
iAntivirus

Pls help!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Note: Moved to appropriate forum.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2015 15" rMBP, 2.8GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 512GB Storage, AMD Radeon R9 M370X, 10.11.1
First of all, looking at your downloads list:

You do not need an AntiVirus software, as there are no viri for Mac, I understand as a previous PC user you may be worried, but I assure you, you are at no risk, and iAntiVirus may be what's knocking out the wifi.

On your problem:

Are you running a microwave? Is somebody in your house/apartment running a microwave near the Mac or the router? This will often knock out your wifi.

OP
M
Reaction score
First of all, looking at your downloads list:

You do not need an AntiVirus software, as there are no viri for Mac, I understand as a previous PC user you may be worried, but I assure you, you are at no risk, and iAntiVirus may be what's knocking out the wifi.

On your problem:

Are you running a microwave? Is somebody in your house/apartment running a microwave near the Mac or the router? This will often knock out your wifi.

Hi, thanks for the quick reply.

I installed the antivirus just in case :)

as for the microwave... nop, not running it and it's far from the router... also, how come my ibm doesn't have the router problem? It's just the macbook that keeps getting disconnected. Even my sister's dell wifi works fine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2015 15" rMBP, 2.8GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 512GB Storage, AMD Radeon R9 M370X, 10.11.1
OK then.

Do you have an Airport router?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Could be the Mac is Ok and it is the network settings that are causing some dropouts. Have you checked them? Just assume the Mac expects a better quality of connection and will drop out below a prescribed level.

OP
M
Reaction score
Hi, sorry just replied.

OK then.

Do you have an Airport router?

I don't have an airport router... using linksys.

Could be the Mac is Ok and it is the network settings that are causing some dropouts. Have you checked them? Just assume the Mac expects a better quality of connection and will drop out below a prescribed level.

How do I check for the network settings?

We live on the third floor and this is where the main router and internet is. Internet still keeps disconnecting but if I bring my laptop to the ground floor and use the wifi, it works fine. We use an access point with LAN downstairs which connects to the 3rd floor router.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2009 Macbook White 2Ghz 2Gig RAM 120Gig HDD

Macs are supposed to be better quality machines. If his Dell and IBM can connect to the wifi with no problems then I would say that there is something wrong with his macbook.

mellyjoi, if you have just bought you mac then you should still be within the 90 day period for telephone support, so give them a call and get them to sort it out.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.