Mail: Replies going to wrong mailbox

Reaction score
My wife and I are sharing a Macbook and use Mail to manage our att and gmail accounts, respectively. When my wife sends an email from her account, and someone replies to it, the reply goes to my gmail account mailbox. I have checked the servers for her att account, but they all appear to be OK. Is there somewhere else I am not looking?

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Is your wife's email account at gmail an alias/subsidiary of the principal one (yours)?

An example: my principal email a/c is [email protected], but to use an address related to my main activity (as opposed to my principal - and personal - address) there is another subsidiary address using that same (yyy) ISP. Mail addressed to the subsidiary address ends up in the principal mail box.

Perhaps that is what's happening in your situation.

OP
S
Reaction score
Mail stuff

The funny thing is, if I send an email directly to my wife's att.net mail address, she gets it. However, if I reply to one of her emails, it ends up in my mailbox. In fact, I have noticed that any reply I make from my gmail account ends up in my Mail inbox, also. Weird. Not sure what is going on here.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Go through your Gmail settings thoroughly. Even if something looks right, uncheck it, recheck it and Save settings. [I'm not at all familiar with att.net, but there may be some settings there to revisit as well.]

I've had problems with mail NOT being forwarded from my gmail a/c to my primary personal address. Mail's gone awol on numerous occasions, mainly when using dialup (!!), sometimes to turn up 3 or 4 days later! That's got me utterly stumped. When back on b/band, the problem seldom occurs.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.