OS 9 applications: memory allocation

D

djmitch

When I got my Mini I had a couple games on CD-ROM that I had bought for Windows that are also Mac compatible. So after figuring out how to install them I realized they ran on OS 9, which was fine because I also installed it (since it too came with my Mini). Btw, I run Tiger on my Mini.

So as I played I noticed one of the games in particular really hanging-up and lagging. The help menus showed me how to "Get info" for the program file then increase the memory allocation for that game, but it still lags (although it doesn't freeze up and quit like it used to). So it's better, but not perfect.

My question: is there a secret to finding the minimum and preferred memory amounts for an application? So say the "recommended" allocation is 1400 KB for this game: what should my "minimum" and "preferred" settings be so that I don't have this annoying lag? (I hope I got these terms right - I'm on my work PC right now!)

I've found that even large settings don't solve this problem, yet I have a lot of RAM I could use for this. I don't know whether this is an OS 9 issue or if it's the game, but with such wimpy minimum requirements I can't figure why it lagged in the first place.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Your problem is related to how the application is being run. If you were in the native OS 9 environment, you would not have a problem.

Since you are really running a process (OS 9) in the OS X environment, that is where problem lies.

OP
D

djmitch

rman said:
Since you are really running a process (OS 9) in the OS X environment, that is where problem lies.
So what you're saying is there's no solution, right?

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I don't think there is one. Unless you can boot into OS 9.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.