Which One?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad Mini2 32GB, iPhone6 64GB, Watch Sport 42mm Black, iPad Air 2 128GB
I have a dilemma - I want an iPad :)

So what is wrong with that?

My head tells me to wait for the Mark II, or even not to buy one at all.

My heart tells me I want one and to get one ordered asap. So which one do I order? Should I go for the biggest one I can get and not bother about 3G, or should I choose the slightly smaller one but with 3G?

Until I have actually tried one, I cannot tell whether I am going to use it at Home (WiFi) or if I will take it to work with me (3G).

Something tells me that implies I shouldn't really buy one - but if I don't, how will I ever know how I would use it if I did ;D

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad Mini2 32GB, iPhone6 64GB, Watch Sport 42mm Black, iPad Air 2 128GB
Thoughts:

I have a 16GB iPhone, which is just about enough capacity, although a bit more would be preferable. However, the iPad is likely to get used for things like more eBooks and more TV programmes than the iPhone due to the larger screen. Scratch the 16GB version then.

On the other hand, although more is better, the cost of the 64GB version is prohibitive - especially if I am still trying to convince myself I actually want one or that I can afford one. Scratch the 64GB ones.

So ideally, we want a 32GB one.

As for 3G - a more difficult choice.

The difference in price between a 32GB WiFi one and a 16GB 3G one is not to much, so perhaps the 16GB 3G one is better. Unfortunately, I am fairly sure that 16GB will always feel too little - so that isn't really a good choice. If I buy one which is too small and always wish I had gone for a larger capacity, I will end up regretting buying the thing. Not wise with such an expensive purchase.

So, I am left with 3 options:

1. Buy the 32GB WiFi one = £499
2. Buy the 32GB 3G one = £599
3. Don't buy one = £0

Choices, choices........ :Smirk:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
If you travel alot and are not near wi-fi then the 3g model would be a must but if the places you are going to use it have wi-fi then 3g might be a wast then it just boils down
to storage size most that I know got the 32g and that is what I am going after soon.

Reaction score
I've been taking mine everywhere with me and am really glad I got the 3G version. I even use it in the car with Trapster to monitor speed traps. It's pretty cool.

I'm not into dealing with email on a small phone-sized screen so the 3G is the perfect mobile device for me.

Reaction score
If you wait for the latest and greatest, you'll never own a piece of high end tech. There is always something better on the horizon.

As far as the wifi vs 3g option: I took my wifi back for a 3g. I found myself missing many of the things I enjoyed about it when I wasn't able to get a net connection. I don't regret swapping it out at all. I'm very happy with that.

As far as size goes, if you only plan to read, surf the net and download apps the 16 gig will be fine. Toss on a decent sized music collection and the 32 is a good choice. Add a few movies and a big music collection and you'll find your 64g is full, just as mine is.

Reaction score
If you wait for the latest and greatest, you'll never own a piece of high end tech. There is always something better on the horizon.

As far as the wifi vs 3g option: I took my wifi back for a 3g. I found myself missing many of the things I enjoyed about it when I wasn't able to get a net connection. I don't regret swapping it out at all. I'm very happy with that.

As far as size goes, if you only plan to read, surf the net and download apps the 16 gig will be fine. Toss on a decent sized music collection and the 32 is a good choice. Add a few movies and a big music collection and you'll find your 64g is full, just as mine is.
I'd have to agree with this. If I had to make compromises, I'd go for the 16GB 3G version. I started with the WiFi version and then the first trip I went on, I was frustrated at having to pay for WiFi access in airports or being stuck with no WiFi access at all.

So I'm selling my 64GB WiFi version and just picked up a 32GB 3G version.

As for size, if you're not going to stuff all your music and movies on there, then the 16GB will be more than plenty. But add the music/movies and you'll definitely need more space.

Unless you want to carry all that music/movies with you, I'd get the 16GB 3G and enjoy all the goodness the 1st generation iPad has and then see what comes in the next generation.

Reaction score
I have the 32gb wifi and it is just the right size. I got a verizon mifi instead of doing the 3g version. I am on a better network and can hook up my laptop and iphone to the mifi too when I am on the road.

I do wish I had gotten the 64 gb sometimes because the ipod really rocks as a video player, and I would like to carry more movies with me, but it is not that big a deal for me to keep swapping my movies out.

My 32 gb filled up very quickly. I have a mixture of music, movies, tv shows, books and photos on it.

If you live in an area where wifi is contained to a few cafes, then the 3g makes sense. I live in an area where wifi is everywhere, so the wifi version is fine.

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A related question - what about the Apple Care Protection Plan?

Doesn't it come with a Warranty? Is this worth the extra, bearing in mind it is going to be carried around, shoved into bags, etc. although in a carrying case obviously? A rather more risky life than an iMac, sitting permanently on a desktop.

The order is getting rather expensive already, but I don't want to spoil things by scrimping on extras if they are required. So far, I have iPad (3G), SIM, case, keyboard ........ and perhaps this Apple Care.

Is that just a rip-off, like the extra warranty they try to sell in Comet and Currys? :Confused:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini, i5, SSD & 1TB, 8 GB
I waiting for the 3G. I see many wifi models on Craigslist. Many are selling to upgrade to the 3G model.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 2.66GHz Quad-Core 8GB, Radeon 4870 * MacBook Pro 17" 3.06 Core 2 Duo, 8GB Ram * 64GB 3G iPad
I waited and my wife reserved a 64GB 3G for me. The 3G capability is the best, very fast. I'm using on vacation and hotel wi-fi is horrible! I can see myself leaving the laptop at home in the future. I compared 3G services between carriers and $29.99 for unlimited was the lowest. The other guys had limits ( in the small print ) plus I didn't want another 2-year commitment.

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It is beginning to look as if I will regret not doing so if I don't get the 3G version - another £100, compared with $100 extra in US :(

So what about the Apple Care - is that worth it? Can I add that later?

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Another thought which came from a This Week in iPad video, anyone here used both versions who can give some idea of battery life on WiFi v 3G versions of iPad please?

Anyone tried tethering the WiFi iPad to an Android phone please? It is rumoured you can do that, even if Apple don't allow tethering iPad and iPhone.

It seems a shame to me that they don't allow that. What could be more natural than using the WiFi iPad, finding the WiFi connection isn't there and switching over to the 3G by using the iPhone? I suppose they just wouldn't sell any 3G iPads - at an extra £100 a go :Smirk:

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh well, finally I bit the bullet and placed my order.

32GB WiFi + 3G, plus Orange SIM, case and Apple Care = £714.02 :eek:

In the immortal words of Homer Simpson, 'now we play the waiting game'.

His next line is correct as well :D

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Congratulations! I'm sure you will enjoy it. :)

Reaction score
I went to BestBuy the other day to use an iPad, after a couple hours I went home and sold my 4 month old MacBook and placed an order for a 16GB iPad.

Once I get it ( schedule delivery is June 1st ) and it meets my needs I'll keep it. If I decide I need a bigger ( 32GB / 64GB ) iPad I am sure I will have no problems selling my 16GB for $500 ( what it cost me ). Latest Blogs and forum news state the iPad will be in "large" demand past the start of the school year in September. With current demand a 16GB would be a great starter and upgrade if need be.

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I got one!!! :)

I went to the Solihull Apple Store and had no problem getting the one I wanted (32GB with 3G on Orange). The had loads of them, plus all of the accessories.

Then I rushed Home and cancelled the original order.

So far I love it.

Watching TV on it at present. Great stuff. :Cool:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.