pen input in pdf's?

Reaction score
I wish to minimize printing papers (and the ensuing piles) in my research, as all relevant journal articles are anyway available as pdf-files. However,
I need to make plenty of handwritten notes (math symbols mainly), and would like to use a device with which I can directly add these notes into
a pdf-file the way I now write with a pencil on a printed version. I do have
Acrobat Pro which in principle allows this, but using the mouse as a writing device is not good. Any good digital pens that have a natural feeling of writing and would work with Macs? Even better, is there a tablet or similar on which I can do the writing (seeing exactly where I'm writing) and then transfer the annotated file to my Mac? Sorry if this topic has been already treated somewhere, but couldn't find. None of the "gurus" I know have been able to come up with a working solution.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Not sure exactly what would be economical for what you need although I understand what it is you're trying to do. I would normally recommend buying an iPad but I have no idea if you wish to spend that kind of money for the capability?

Regards.

OP
K
Reaction score
Not sure exactly what would be economical for what you need although I understand what it is you're trying to do. I would normally recommend buying an iPad but I have no idea if you wish to spend that kind of money for the capability?

Regards.

So, are you saying that I could do the scribbling on the screen of the iPad
with the help of some pen-type device, then simply transfer the pdf-file back to my Mac, and I would have a pdf-file with notes on it?

Thanks and regards

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, Black, 2.0GHz C2D, 2GB RAMs, 160GB HD
Looking at what you asked for in the original posting, I don't think the iPad will really do it for you. I am not sure if there is an app that will enable you to scribble on a PDF file.

With that being said, and if you are reading those PDFs on your Mac, I would suggest you look at this BAMBOO

That link takes you to the product page, if you click on the MORE ON PEN INPUT it has a pretty good video that shows how awesome it is. I think it should work perfectly in your case. It starts at $99 much cheaper than any tablet right now and Wacom makes awesome products.

I personally don't have one, I can't justify the money because I don't have real use for it, but if I had half an excuse I'd go buy. :D

Hope that helps.

Cheers

MMM

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.