Loading MS Office Suite on a MacBook With a Broken Optical Drive

Reaction score
I've got a MacBook with a broken optical drive. I'd like to load a newer version of MS Office via CD. I've got a friend with a MacBook with a working optical drive.

I (somewhat) understand that I can use the working MacBook as a "target," hook up the computers via firewire, and load MS Office on the broken MacBook "through" the optical drive of the working MacBook.

My question is, how exactly do I do that? As in, what are the exact steps? I've read that you turn the "target" computer into the target by booting while holding "t"; but do I insert the MS Office CD before booting while holding "t"? Do I need to do anything with the broken MacBook (i.e., reboot it to recognize the target computer as a target)? Anything else?

I'm guessing this is a pretty simple 5 or 6 step process and someone's done it before. I just haven't dealt with anything quite like it. Any help would be appreciated.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
All you need to know about Target Disk Mode here. I suggest, however, that you consider either replacing the drive or buying an external drive for future use. (If you intend to keep the machine.)

Regards.

Reaction score
You could also download the trial from online install it and then enter your product key.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You could also download the trial from online install it and then enter your product key.

Note: In order for that to work - you must download the trial copy of the version of Office 2008 your product key is for.

Regards.

OP
T
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions and link. I'll check them out in the next week or two and report back if everything worked. But it looks like the link to Apple's how-to firewire target page will do the trick.

Reaction score
Note: In order for that to work - you must download the trial copy of the version of Office 2008 your product key is for.

Regards.

Yes your right I forgot to mention that, I just figured he most likely had the student version as i believe that is the only version you can get the trial for.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.