Need help..Cant connect to network when using windows with parallel

Reaction score
I have a macbook with 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor (Apple calls it early 2008 model). When I bought this mac, I installed parallels to run windows Vista in a virtual environment. Everything worked fine, and I was able to connect to internet on both mac and windows environment. Then came Windows 7, I upgraded to it, and I could not connect to internet in windows (mac still works fine though). Windows tells that drivers are not installed, and since it cant connect to internet, it cant download the updated drivers. After trying to fix this issue for some time, I downgraded to Vista hoping that I should be able to go on internet now since earlier I could connect to internet using vista. But, again, I am not able to connect as the drivers are not installed. I have tried both wireless and ethernet cable, but still no luck (only in windows, mac works fine).

I tried to search for the name of network adapter to download the drivers, but no luck. In mac environment, I see that under Airport card, Broadcom BCM43xx 1.0 (5.10.91.21) is listed.

In windows, when I go to Device Manager, under Other Devices, Ethernet Controller is listed with exclamation mark (yellow), and when I click on it, it shows, The Drivers for this device are not installed (code 28). I dont know from where to download the updated drivers.

The parallels software that I have installed is version 3.0, and current one is 5.0. I dont think that the version of parallels is going to affect the internet connectivity, but I dont know.

I rarely use windows on this mac, so if it does not work, that will not have an effect on my productivity, but for the life of me, I cant take that it does not work. If it works, and I am not using it, I am satisfied.

Please advice on how to get this issue fixed.

Thanks,

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The first thing I normally suggest with Parallels for driver trouble shooting is that you ascertain the Parallels Guest tools have been installed. Remember, since you're running Windows (XP, Vista, Win 7) from a virtual machine, standard drivers which are found on the Leopard or Snow Leopard DVD or downloaded from the net do not apply. You must use whatever drivers are available from the Guest Tools that Parallels supplies.

Also, Parallels 3 does not support Windows 7. I believe you must upgrade your version in order to run Windows 7.

More info is available from the Parallels user forums.

Regards.

OP
P
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply chscag.

I have no idea that Parallels Guest tools need to be installed to use windows, how to do that, and I dont know where to get those from. I will check the Parallels user forums, but if you can show me the link to install Parallels Guest tools, that will be really helpful. Once with Parallels Guest tools and my current version if I am able to go on internet on vista, then I will upgrade to the latest version of parallels to install win7.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
To install guest tools go to Virtual Machine Pulldown -> Install Parallels Guest tools

What version of Vista are you running? I found when I tried to go to SP1 it really messed up my network drivers. So I uninstalled SP1. You needed to be at SP1 to upgrade to 7 - and that made a holy mess of my windows. I ended up wiping all of bootcamp (which I run in Parallels) and just installing Windows 7 clean. Anyway if you are at SP1 - try uninstalling SP1 to see if you get your network back. Or you could do like I did and just install a clean copy of Windows 7 and see if that fixes the network as well.

OP
P
Reaction score
Sorry for taking so long to get back. I was trying the suggestions mentioned here. Here is the update:

I upgraded to Parallels Desktop 5.0, Parallels Guest tools, and reinstalled Vista. I am able to go to internet now, and download all the updates. Currently, I am running Vista SP2 and able to go internet.

Now, before installing Windows 7, I installed Windows 7 upgrade advisor (from Microsoft site), and ran it to check for compatibility. It gives me following error message:

Parallels Ethernet Adapter (under Devices) ---> Not compatible (under status) --> The driver installed for this device is not compatible with Windows 7 (under Details).

It seems to me that with current setup, even after upgrading to Parallels 5.0, I would not be able to go on internet.

IvanLasston: It seems to me that the problem is not due to Vista SP1, but something else.

What should I do to get on internet if I upgrade to Windows 7.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
I'd recommend not upgrading if possible. There should be a way to boot to the CD and just installing Windows 7 clean - formatting the bootcamp drive. Maybe other people have had luck doing the upgrade but I ran that same upgrade adviser and it said I was not compatible because of SP1.

Anyway my experience with windows upgrading (which I've been doing since windows 95) is don't do it. Just back everything up and wipe the windows drive clean then install.

OP
P
Reaction score
Thanks IvanLasston, I am all set. Clean installed windows 7, reinstalled Parallels Guest tools and all is well now.

Reaction score
Mac/Windows issues

I installed windows 7 on my new mac (late 2011 model) without parallels software and the Internet's not working on it. It says there's a problem with the driver for my network adapter yet, when i try to install it, it says windows can't install it. Does anyone have any suggestions?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I installed windows 7 on my new mac (late 2011 model) without parallels software and the Internet's not working on it. It says there's a problem with the driver for my network adapter yet, when i try to install it, it says windows can't install it. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Do you mean that you installed Windows using Boot Camp? If so, you might have missed the last step - popping in the Boot Camp disc that you burned during the Boot Camp Assistant process whilst running Windows. This disc will install all the needed drivers and should get you straightened out.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.