New HDD Problem....

Reaction score
First of all let me appologise, I know you have answered a lot of questions about similar problems, but I just get really confused reading them.

So here we go....

A while a go, my hard drive died and came up with the fateful '?' folder. SO I just went out and bought an iMac to replace it.... my dissertation was due in and I couldn't really wait.

SO - today I have just gone and bought a new hard drive to replace my old one, just a bog standard refurbed 60gb one that fits, dont need it for anything other than messing around on.

I'm starting up with the original Mac OSX install disc in the drive, however I get so far as selecting a destination but the new drive doesn't appear. BUT it does appear in the Disk Utility section.

I know a small portion about Mac's, but I really need this in as basic as term as you can give........

Thanks so much!!

A ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Welcome to the Forum. If i understand your scene correctly, if it appears in the Disk Utility then use Disk utility to select and Erase it and then it should show as available to do the install on.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.