ten essential freeware mac apps

Reaction score
Pretty good list - i'll be looking at the video transcoder, the rest was all pretty much pre-installed when i bought my Mac in bangkok, including Neo-Office which is the biggest omission.

Also should include 'Better Touch Tool' (or other free apps for same issue) to really use the touchpad to it's fullest, or enable gestures in other Apps that haven't yet supported them.

Maybe add True-Crypt for any encryption etc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Thanks. I was actually looking for a sync app to backup photos/audio from external HD to External HD.

I'll add that, while I like Adium in general, it's a darned shame that they still can't get their acts together when it comes to video chatting. Sometimes I'd rather just run Yahoo and iChat because of friends or family whom want to see my ugly mug for some silly reason.

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 11,2 <--DAW!!!
I've got 6 of the 10 apps still in use.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Nice list but these would be my 10:

Onyx
Perian (technically not an application but till really useful)
Mactracker
Adium
Appcleaner (only because Appzapper I like so much more is not freeware)
Disk InventoryX
Firefox
The Unarchiver
VLC (till it's upgraded to the new app)
Audio Overload

Reaction score
Applejack is a rather good maintenance one too....
VLC is in the list already - i've never used/opened Quicktime since i got my Mac. Think my Windows days has given me a permanent aversion to the thing...... basically evil deviousware like Realplayer.

If you have/considering ebooks then you'll want/need 'Calibre'

Songbird for music if you don't need iTunes and want to recliaim the Fn keys for VLC or songbird etc, according to which you have open (rather than having iTunes open whenever you press pause/play in the middle of watching a movie on VLC - heinous.)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
they aren't essential. I don't have any of them. ;P

I have to agree. Also note that "Monolingual" causes more problems than it's worth. I recommend never using that app. "Tinker Tool" will likewise get you into trouble real fast if you don't know what you're doing.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.