• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Rumour: Apple to make MobileMe free

Reaction score
It'd be nice. What do they charge for that? $99, or something close to it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini, i5, SSD & 1TB, 8 GB
I got a year subscription for Mobileme for about 60 from the Apple store last summer. It is almost time to renew and I'm having a hard time paying the 99 dollar renewal fee. But I will say that Mobileme works seamlessly and really like the service.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Other than the fact that this is an unsubstantiated claim, this one reason in the CNET article is worth noting: "Current MobileMe subscribers would likely go bananas, having paid their $99." How could Apple justify giving a service away for free when people are now paying $99 for it? I guess they could give those people credit towards Apple merchandise.

The other reason that CNET noted (twice) is also worth noting - Apple would never give this away for free especially if they have been charging for it.

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
$99 a year or something is costs I think.

I think if iAd takes off and it really profitable for Apple, I think Apple could make mobileme free and just have ads in ti and use iAd to pay for it. Sure that'd make mobileme a little google like. As in free services with ads to pay for it all. But if you get 10x the number of users if you make it free then the ad potential is there. And I quite like iAd. Sure only large companies can afford iAd advertising at the moment with it's rumoured minimum cost is $1 million a year.

Even though this is a pure rumour at the moment. I can see how making this free could be a good idea. And it would really push the whole "cloud computing" idea in Apple's favour.

Another option is make access to mobileme a one time fee then you get unlimited access to it. No more yearly subscriptions. That would work too. And if they added in really good ipad integration. And nice push notifications. So when you update one Apple device in mail or ical or whatever all your other devices apps (ipad included) were automatically updated, then that'd be really good.

So in short:

1. Make it work well with ipad - as a good way to get information from your ipad to the internet or to your Mac
2. Make it free - and the cost subsidised with a version of iAd or make it a one time cost for unlimited access.
3. Make the push notifications to all your Apple devices flawless.

I think that's the way mobileme needs to go. And the $x a year model they have not is not working so well in my opinion. This way Apple would not be giving it away as we all know Apple would be very hesitant to do. They'd just be using alternate methods to charge for it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Yeah, it is 99 or 69 if you purchase it with another substantial apple product. I got 2 months free plus the 12 month subscription. I would probably be ticked if they did make it free! THough, I doubt Apple would just leave everyone mad. But, this is all assuming that I believe MMe will be free, which I don't believe will happen, until this kind of service becomes a standard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Well, there are code snippets in the latest iOS 4.2.1 GM that might suggest Apple's MobileMe service getting free.

I can honestly say that if this become FREE, i would be out in the store tomorrow to buy my iP4 .... This would just top it off and sway me to get the phone. ATM paying $129 AUD for this service is not in my vocabulary, bc of only having my MBP. Getting the service free then to buy i iP4 would totally make it worth it :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac G5(Mine) and Wife's Imac intel,(new)
They can do anything they want

Apple can change it mind anytime on anything, like going from the G5 processor to the intel processor after selling the G5 right up to the minute, before the change. Change their services, thoughts, deals, or computers has not hurt them, I guess we are all lemming computer people who follow the leader no matter what. Still a Mac fan :D

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
They'd most likely offer tiered plans of the service, with the free tier being the bare minimum of course. This'll unlikely make anyone have buyer's remorse for purchasing MobileMe who purchased it beforehand.

I'd love to see this free service of MobileMe come about. It'd most likely lead to me purchasing a premium plan, upgrading from a free version (rumors permitting), if and when I get an iPhone.

Reaction score
I for one would go to MobileMe if it actually were free. $99 is too expensive for me right now. I love the services Apple currently offers with it though.

I also wish I had an iPhone, since MobileMe doesn't have anything necessary for the iPod touch.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.26ghz 4GB, iPod nano 1st & 3rd gen., iPod touch 2nd gen.
that would be great if it was for free! i cant afford 99 a year, thats way to much for me as i'm a college student now and i cant afford anything anymore.. unlike before.. MAKE IT FREE! because im sure it will bring a lot of people to the iphone considering they get all this great features PLUS an amazing iphone

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
A german Mac forums reader discovered that his MobileMe account now says "Standard (for free) under "Account details".
Read more here.

Yeah, but later into the forum post he finds out that this account type (free) is normally given to Apple Employees.
In his case it has to be a mistake as he doesn't work at Apple.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Eh, this has been rumored for a long time so we'll just have to see what happens.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
Eh, this has been rumored for a long time so we'll just have to see what happens.

Ya, I recall hearing this rumor about a year ago.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro, MacBook Pro, iPhone 4
Before anyone gets hot & bothered about this, keep in mind that email will not be included. This is basically just sync, Find My iPhone and perhaps image gallery - but that's it. Quite frankly, they almost have to offer the sync service to keep up with Android. But tossing in a few other services would be a nice way to upsell to the full MobileMe.

Time will tell though.

Reaction score
Before anyone gets hot & bothered about this, keep in mind that email will not be included. This is basically just sync, Find My iPhone and perhaps image gallery - but that's it. Quite frankly, they almost have to offer the sync service to keep up with Android. But tossing in a few other services would be a nice way to upsell to the full MobileMe.

Time will tell though.

I could do without the email part. The syncing I would love. And if I ever get an iPhone (maybe in a few years), I would love FMI. When I start making enough money, I'd then upgrade.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2015 15" rMBP, 2.8GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 512GB Storage, AMD Radeon R9 M370X, 10.11.1
So uh, find my iPhone is now free. Have it on my iPod right now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
They'd most likely offer tiered plans of the service, with the free tier being the bare minimum of course. This'll unlikely make anyone have buyer's remorse for purchasing MobileMe who purchased it beforehand.

I am inclined to agree based on the "Find My iPhone feature" being free now.

So uh, find my iPhone is now free. Have it on my iPod right now.

I just activated it on my iPhone 4 and iPad. A MobileMe feature free of charge. Glimpse of more to come? I wouldn't be surprised. As others have mentioned, Apple needs to keep up with Google Docs/Google Mail.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I am one of the group that paid my $99 renewal fee in September. I haven't made use of iWeb yet but do use iDisk the syncing features not that I have an iPhone.

It wouldn't upset me if they suddenly made something I paid $99 for free. It was worth the money not to have the sync problems I had with my Palm phone. It Also keeps things in order across two Macs an iPhone and an iPad. Would be nice to get a credit or other perk of some sort though

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.