Macbook pro issues help please

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.4ghz 2gb ram Macbook pro 2.16 ghz G4 Powerbook 15inch 1.67ghz
I hate to be a new member that hardly post and makes topics but that is what I am doing so sorry. I dont have time to read threw other topics to find my answer I need to get my computer working asap for finals and they are now.

My problem is I have a 2006-7 macbook pro and it has been running slow, so i back up everything on a external hard drive. And prepared to do a fresh install of the os disk that came with the system. But upon doing a fresh install the computer gave me a prompt trouble veryifying the disk but i just hit continue. So i watched the computer go threw the reading of the disk and install steps than it just stopped and said cant complete. So i took out os disk restart my computer and now i am greeted with a flashing folder and question mark.
I didnt do anything but try to fresh install holding down C when start up.
Before this computer was running fine. Now nothing at all any help suggestions would be awesome thank you very much

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What kind of machine is it? In your tech specs you say it's a G4 Powerbook and in your post you say it's a 2006-7 MBP. Which is it?

In any event, it sounds like your hard drive is dying and possibly already died. If you made a good backup before running the verify repair routine and installation, you can use that backup to restore to a new hard drive.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
To add to what chscag has already said, in hindsight you should not have ignored the problem you had when verifying the hard and you should have tried to repair the hard drive before reformatting it. If that doesn't work then it's time to think about getting a new hard drive.

Reformatting a drive that is about to die is not a good thing to do because it puts more stress on a it which could cause it to die quicker. You are only making your problem worst at that point. If your drive was repairable by Disk Utilities or if the verification was okay then it should be safe to do a reformat.

At this point what you could try is hold down C again and boot up with your OS disc. After that open up Disk Utilities in the menu bar and try to repair the hard drive. If that doesn't work then get a new hard drive. Since time is against you and you do have a recent backup then getting a new hard drive will be the quicker option rather than trying to figure out what is exactly the cause of your problem.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
sorry for the confusion i have not updated my profile since getting 2 more computers

Also i have a macbook pro and i believe the specs are 2.16 with 120gb hard drive not sure exactly cause its not in front of me.

But yeah I tried to repair disk in disk utility and it said failed I tried to verify it as well. I just bought a pre owned macbook today cause i needed a upgrade but would still like to fix my macbook pro cause i have a nice cinema display set up for it. And i dont think i can use that on my new macbook 2008 model

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
nMP 6-core/32Gb/D700/512Gb: rMBP 15" 2.3GHz/16Gb/512Gb: iPhone 6 128Gb: iPad Air 2 128Gb: NEC PA322U
You'll be able to use the Cinema Display with the MacBook '08 no problem at all. You might need an adapter, but you'll be able to get one from Apple for it.

Regarding the MBP, you are in one of the best situations to have a failed hard drive - you have a recent backup! I'd suggest you buy a 2.5" SATA drive (even the 500Gb, 7,200rpm models are cheap now) to get it back up and running as your existing one has come to the end of its life I'm afraid...

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You'll be able to use the Cinema Display with the MacBook '08 no problem at all. You might need an adapter, but you'll be able to get one from Apple for it.

Regarding the MBP, you are in one of the best situations to have a failed hard drive - you have a recent backup! I'd suggest you buy a 2.5" SATA drive (even the 500Gb, 7,200rpm models are cheap now) to get it back up and running as your existing one has come to the end of its life I'm afraid...

ah for sure the HD has crashed/dead?

Also could you help me with a link to find a 500gd HD?
Also steps to install the HD and install the os the right way?
Also i will go to apple so i can get that adapter its the 20 inch cinema display i bought it as a package with my macbook pro a few years back.
and thank you for your fast reply and not giving me crap for making a post about something that has prob been delt with a great deal.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
ah for sure the HD has crashed/dead?

Also could you help me with a link to find a 500gd HD?
Also steps to install the HD and install the os the right way?
Also i will go to apple so i can get that adapter its the 20 inch cinema display i bought it as a package with my macbook pro a few years back.
and thank you for your fast reply and not giving me crap for making a post about something that has prob been delt with a great deal.

A good 500GB 7200 RPM internal hdd.

Your best bet is to look on youtube. There are LOTS of video tutorials to replace hard drives and to install the OS X.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thank you for the link also can i boot my computer from my external hard drive and still use it ? til i get another one?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
thank you for the link also can i boot my computer from my external hard drive and still use it ? til i get another one?
It depends on how you made your backup. If you backed up with Time Machine then no but if cloned it with Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper then yes.

Here is a link to ifixit.com. They provide good walkthrough tutorials about how to do a lot of repairs. Just find your MBP model and click on the hard drive replacement tutorial.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.