Mac pro RAM-memory problems in bootcamp

Reaction score
Hello there. I have a 8 core mac pro (Late 2008 model i think) with 2 gig ram in it when i bought it and 2 gig that came with it, but werent allready installed. First i installed windows xp 32 bit and i used it for some months, but then i remembered that i had 2 more gigs of ram lying around, so i installed them but the windows xp still only shows 1.99 gigs, even thou the mac partition says 4 gigs. I reinstalled xp, but it still shows 1.99 gigs. Now i am gonna upgrade to windows 7 64 bit, and therefore i need the 2 extra gigs. Will the 2 gigs show up at the windows 7 ?
Thank you for your help

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Windows XP 32 bit can actually address up to 3.3 GB of system memory but not by default. You must add a parameter to the boot line of the boot.ini file which is found in the root of drive c.

If you go for Windows 7 64 bit, it will address all your memory. Since you have a Mac Pro which can be loaded up with memory, Windows 7 64 bit is a good choice.

Regards.

OP
M
Reaction score
Windows XP 32 bit can actually address up to 3.3 GB of system memory but not by default. You must add a parameter to the boot line of the boot.ini file which is found in the root of drive c.

If you go for Windows 7 64 bit, it will address all your memory. Since you have a Mac Pro which can be loaded up with memory, Windows 7 64 bit is a good choice.

Regards.

Thank you. I added the parameter that everyone says should help to the boot file (until i get my hands on a win 7) but still it shows 1,99
here is what the boot file says
Code:
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(3)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(3)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /usepmtimer /3GB
but it still shows 1.99

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.