Backup issue using superduper.

D

dstyrk

Ok I used SuperDuper to back up my entire OS X drive to an external HD. Well that went fine. Then I reinstalled Tiger (to loose some empty partitions) and now need to restore my old system settings. I tried to drag and drop, but some of the items have special permissions and I can't. What do I do?

I'm mostly concerned with the now lost photos and music. I'm pretty sure I could just drag and drop those folders, but I would like to salvage the rest if possible.

Any ideas? If it were a perfect world I would have like to, backup>reinstall>restore and not even be able to notice a difference other than missing those partitions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
I would suggest plugging in the external drive with the old cloned image. Then login as root and give ownership to you. Make sure to select to apply to sudirectories as well. Then while logged in as root, drag and drop the folders to their corresponding locations.

I use Deja Vu to backup my home directory to an external FW drive and when I did a clean install of Tiger this is what fixed it for me.

The user has a UID that can't be duplicated. You must be logged in as root for the apply to subdir to work correctly. All app prefs and iLife mappings/settings were intact.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.