13' Macbook Pro or 21.5' iMac for uni?

Reaction score
Hey guys. So ive been thinking about switching to Mac for a while now (im using a PC laptop atm). I'm half way through uni and I stay in a condo just right across school, but during every break I fly back to my hometown which means I do travel a lot.

So my problem is this. I'm a "poor" student; so if ever I'd buy a Mac it would be the lowest-end one. I was really considering the macbook pro but after finding out that the imac has the same price, i had this dilemma. Btw, I'll be using the mac for video editing (not too hardcore or HD), music composing (im an aspiring musician), and a side of gaming (Modern Warfare 2, etc.). So here's my problem: for the same price, the iMac offers a better CPU but a lower graphics card (sorry, i dont know too much technical stuff) than a Macbook pro. For portability, i could still use this PC laptop to do other stuff. But i guess I won't be able to bring the iMac when i go back home.

So for the things i'll be using it for, which would be the better option? would i need the better graphics card or processor speed? and what's the cheapest option for an external display if ever i choose to go with the MBP?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
If you don't need the portability then the iMac is the way to go.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
If you can save up just enough for the lowest iMac that has a dedicated graphics card, then you should be good to do everything you want to do. The lowest iMac (it comes with an integrated graphoncs card) will do everything you want but might be a little sketchy on the gaming side.

And if you really want to transport your imac home, you should invest in a imac bag. Something like these from this site would be nice.
ilugger.com
Then you can call the imac carry on luggage and you'd be able to baby it the whole flight. Sure that's the hard way. The macbook will to everything you want to (but the gaming might be hard, well it depends on what games, some work well, others don't).

So the bug question is do you need the real portability, or is the imac with an imac bag to lug it home in the holidays ok?

And I would take whatever Mac you get home with you. You can't be too careful about these things. I just would not trust it being left in the condo room all holidays without it being stolen or damaged.

But if you want to take it home I'd suggest a 21.5 inch imac not the 27 inch. Simply cause the larger size is a little more hassle to cart around.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Model Identifier: iMac9,1 Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz
I use a Windows laptop to travel and an iMac at home - this works happily since files can be transferred over the homr wireless network. The travel bag seems a great idea - but i'd get a second keyboard for use at home - or an old pc keyboard, which works OK on my iMax

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Well the bags have space in them for imac and keyboard/mouse. But you can always get a 2nd keyboard if you want.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook pro 2.26 ghz intel core 2 ..memory 4gb ,500 gb hard drive ////running Windows 7,Iphone 3gs
Comic Sans MS"]well all i can say is i have a macbook pro 13' and 2.26 4gb ram and 500gb hard drive ... i also run windows 7 ultimate...
i have cod 4, left 4 dead 2 ,,i have adobe cs5 master ,, fl studio 9, and ton more all run great ...some games u have to set on a lower settings..but the number 1 thing is mobility and those road trips or plane rides,or if you need to show your work just pop it open ...it will come in handy your choice ...

OP
N
Reaction score
Thanks for the helpful tips guyz! I think I'm just gonna go with a MBP, since I don't wanna have to carry a huge, fragile bag (aside from my luggage) on my trips. haha Also, I might buy a monitor/external display to go with it. Any recommendations for affordable brands (cheap but good quality)?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.