500 gb 7200rpm hard drive vs 128 gb solid state drive

Reaction score
I am torn between these two for the macbook pro 2010, I have Googled online & I saw another post here about this, & it seems more economical to go with the 7200 500 gb hard drive upgrade for now. And that the samsung SSD's that Apple uses now will degrade over time.

I am leaning towards going with the 7200 rpm 500 gb drive for now, but my concern comes from reading online people having some problems with this hard drive; Fix for MacBook Pro 7200rpm hard drive beeps, clicks, & freezes | MacYourself

this worried me, I notice all these complaints were from 2009, & I would like to know if apple has fixed this with a different 500 gb drive for 2010 or what?

does anybody have experience or has anybody got a macbook pro 2010 with the 500 gb hard drive upgrade? how has it worked so far?

I am getting a one time allotment of school aid money, & this will be my first mac, & it will have to last me at least 3 years. I will be doing photoshop, graphic design, & video editing on the machine, as well as doing online classes. so performance is important.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
I will be doing photoshop, graphic design, & video editing on the machine, as well as doing online classes. so performance is important.
Unless you like transferring all your files to an external hard drive often, 128 GB fills up fast with the kind of work you are thinking about doing. I think the 500 GB 7200 RPM is a noticeable improvement to the 5400 RPM drive but it won't be as fast as the reported speeds people are getting with the SSD.

The SSD is a luxury for people who can afford them now. If you can't afford the larger sized SSD then go with the 500. I have the 500 GB 7200 RPM drive myself on a late 2009 MBP and really like it. Remember you can always upgrade the hard drive later yourself to SSD if you want when you save up some money so don't stress over the decision. I say get the 500 now and then save up money to get a large SSD if you think you still need it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.