How do I defragment a volume?

Reaction score
[useless background]
So I've been messing around with sound file replacement in video games with my SD card, and been getting stupid staticy sounds. I checked with my friends in the same branch, and they all said the same thing-"you need to defrag your SD card".
[/background]

So I need do defragment my SD card. The problem is, I've been looking around for apps that will do this, and I'm coming up with nothing.

Is there any free application that will defragment a volume on my macbook? I'm using 10.5.4 leopard (intel).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
iDefrag. Not free, but there is a free demo version.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Free option...back it up, and then just format it

OP
T
Reaction score
iDefrag did not work, it was the first thing that came up and it refused to touch the volume. Same with the Drive Genius 3.0 demo.

@Technologist: if that'll work...

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Neither iDefrag or Drive Genius will attempt to defrag a SD card, CF card, or any other type of removable flash media.

You can erase and format it as suggested, but don't use Disk Utility as it will create two partitions on the SD card in the process. You'll wind up with a small 200 MB partition and the rest as a single large partition. That might render the card useless. If you really want to format it, use Disk Manager from Windows (as long as the card does not exceed 32 GB) and you should be OK.

BTW, SD cards are normally formatted to FAT.

Regards.

OP
T
Reaction score
Basically every option takes virtually forever. And it refragments almost immediately. Urge to kill rising...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac 21.5" 3.06GHz 4GB RAM NVIDIA GeForce 9400
Neither iDefrag or Drive Genius will attempt to defrag a SD card, CF card, or any other type of removable flash media.

You can erase and format it as suggested, but don't use Disk Utility as it will create two partitions on the SD card in the process. You'll wind up with a small 200 MB partition and the rest as a single large partition. That might render the card useless. If you really want to format it, use Disk Manager from Windows (as long as the card does not exceed 32 GB) and you should be OK.

BTW, SD cards are normally formatted to FAT.

Regards.

Permanently?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Why would you defrag flash memory? There's no moving parts. It's not like you're waiting for the heads to jump back and forth across a platter. As I understand it, defragmenting any kind of flash shortens its usable life by doing lots of unnecessary writes.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
To weemax:

No. The damage to the card can be fixed but the process is convoluted and confusing and has to be done from a Windows command line prompt.

But as cwa107 points out, flash media is not designed to be defragmented and can actually shorten its life.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.