ipad, multiuser

Reaction score
Just ordered my ipad, my wife and I both have iphones that are synched to separate computers.
The question is can you synch the ipad to two different computers? The reason being is that we both have different apps on our respective computers, obviously we are both going to use the ipad and would like both our apps on it.
Oh don't tell me to buy two ipads, lol

Dave

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PC Baby!
Because of conflicts I don't thInk it would work. You can sync say contacts from one and music from another. But if you are doing say apps or music to two different computers, then each will delete what the other puts on. It is the very nature of the idea of "sync".

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Just ordered my ipad, my wife and I both have iphones that are synched to separate computers.
The question is can you synch the ipad to two different computers? The reason being is that we both have different apps on our respective computers, obviously we are both going to use the ipad and would like both our apps on it.
Oh don't tell me to buy two ipads, lol

Dave
I hate to be the one to break the news to you, but I believe you just ordered your Wife an iPad . . . ;)

Actually, that's why I ended up buying two iPads, from my experience buying my first MacBook I knew if I was going to have one, I'd have to get one for her too.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Could be cheaper to dump one of the iTunes accounts and repurchase everything under a single account. It's not a great idea to have separate iTunes accounts within a family. You can sync individually to each of them even from a single computer. Having two computers each with the same account makes syncing individually that much easier and no paid duplication of songs, videos, apps, etc.

(Well unless you get a divorce and fight over who gets the iTunes account.)

OP
P.S. Taker
Reaction score
I hate to be the one to break the news to you, but I believe you just ordered your Wife an iPad . . . ;)

Actually, that's why I ended up buying two iPads, from my experience buying my first MacBook I knew if I was going to have one, I'd have to get one for her too.

Think you may be right there.
To be honest I never thought of just using the one itunes account, may just go with that. Maybe it's because I don't like all the makeup finger prints all over my macbook. We will see if they clean the makeup of properly before using the ipad, lol

Dave

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Later on down the line when you move into the HTPC realm, a single account will make it so much easier. The initial setup of syncing to your devices can be laborious, but worth it down the road.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This probably goes without saying, but just in case it isn't clear I'll mention it. If you do what Bob suggests (which is the way my wife and I are set up) you can still have different APPs on your iPads. You just draw out of one purchase pool and install and arrange as you see fit on your individual devices.

Reaction score
This probably goes without saying, but just in case it isn't clear I'll mention it. If you do what Bob suggests (which is the way my wife and I are set up) you can still have different APPs on your iPads. You just draw out of one purchase pool and install and arrange as you see fit on your individual devices.

Can you describe tis process in more detail? We have Mac pro with a huge music library, 2 iPhones, I pad 1 and an iPod classic. We share the iTunes acc but having problems with the apps.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Can you describe tis process in more detail? We have Mac pro with a huge music library, 2 iPhones, I pad 1 and an iPod classic. We share the iTunes acc but having problems with the apps.

What specifically are you having problems with?

There are two relatively easy ways to manage your APPs. One requires a computer, the other you can do stand-alone.

1) Stand-alone: delete any unwanted APPs from your iPhone/iPad, then access the iTunes APP Store (using icon on your iPhone/iPad). At the bottom of your screen (assuming your IOS is up to date) you should see a tab for purchased items. From there you can see all purchases or just the ones that aren't currently on your device. Install the ones you want and you are good to go.

2) On your Mac: synch your iPhone/iPad and in the iTunes window click in the left side-bar on your device. Click again on the APP tab in the window that opens showing your device and synch status. From there you can scroll down and select or deselect APPs. Click on Apply to re-synch and should be good.

HTH

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA

No truer words have been spoken..:)

Our iPad is shared between me, my wife and our daughter..the apps are mostly common stuff that we use and all of our daughter's apps are in her own folders..

For things like Facebook, we use myPad which allows multiple users..but beyond that there isn't much multi-user support built into iOS. There is a app you can install that provides that functionality, I think you have to jailbreak the iPad though, but this hasn't become a big enough issue for me to throw money at it ..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.