Upgrading Hard Drive

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air '13, Mid 2011, 128GB
I've decided to upgrade my HD to something bigger than 120GB, I really wanted to get a 1TB 2.5inch HD for my white MacBook but I can't seem to find someone selling them.

So I've been looking at 500GB HDs so far I've found a WD 500GB 5,400rpm, but I wanted to boost the speed of my hard drive up to 7,200rpm. Segate make one with those specs but everyone seems to say the WD is better.

Is it worth getting a faster drive and can anyone recommend one?

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air '13, Mid 2011, 128GB
MacBook HD Upgrade

I've decided to upgrade my HD to something bigger than 120GB, I really wanted to get a 1TB 2.5inch HD for my white MacBook but I can't seem to find someone selling them.

So I've been looking at 500GB HDs so far I've found a WD 500GB 5,400rpm, but I wanted to boost the speed of my hard drive up to 7,200rpm. Segate make one with those specs but everyone seems to say the WD is better.

Is it worth getting a faster drive and can anyone recommend one?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Regardless of what size hard drive you decide to upgrade to...be careful what "height" hard drive you get. Make sure you determine what height hard drive you currently have. Many of the MacBook original hard drives are something like 9.5mm high...and many of the 500 gig replacement hard drives can be around 12.5mm.

Mobile Computing: Upgrade Your Notebook's Hard Drive - PCWorld

Some folks have "squeezed" a 12.5mm high HD into their laptops...but it's a tight fit. Some folks are ok with this...and some folks would rather not have such a tight fit (in case there are any issues such as heat, etc.)...and decide to return the 12.5mm HD and get a 9.5mm HD.

Just some info to consider,

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.