Totally Removing Software

Reaction score
Hey,
I recently installed a software program and had to remove it because I messed up the installation. However, I believe I screwed up because every time I try to reinstall the program I can not select my Mac HD because it says that a newer version of the software is already installed on this volume. How can I totally remove this software so I can install the program again?

Oh and I have removed everything from my computer with the name of the program. I've done all the stuff I know how to do. I drug everything to the trash and emptied my trash.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Hey,
I recently installed a software program and had to remove it because I messed up the installation. However, I believe I screwed up because every time I try to reinstall the program I can not select my Mac HD because it says that a newer version of the software is already installed on this volume. How can I totally remove this software so I can install the program again?

Oh and I have removed everything from my computer with the name of the program. I've done all the stuff I know how to do. I drug everything to the trash and emptied my trash.

It would be much simpler to help if we knew the name of the app in question. However.... most apps you can drag/drop into the Trash and be done with it. There are a few that do install helper files into /Library and/or the User Library. For apps that came with an uninstaller, it's best to use that. Barring that... check the developer's website for a FAQ or other documentation on how to manually uninstall everything. There are a few apps that offer to "uninstall" other apps for you. They work fine for the most part, but I've yet to see one that gets 100% of everything from every app thrown at it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
I've seen others on here recommend apps such as App Zapper. Google it and see if it helps.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
CleanApp is my preference, but also as mentioned earlier, plus AppCleaner. They ferret out all the application's associated files, including hidden ones.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.