G3 problem.

R

Rocket7795

I must confess first off that I know very little about mac's. I do know a lot about the x86 platform and am well versed in Windows, and the PC world. I am somewhat familiar with Linux but to call me a linux lamer would be an overstatment. Anyways, with the credentials out of the way. I somewhat stumbled into the Mac world when I purchased what I thought to be a dead G3 350 off ebay for $40. Well to my surprise when I plugged it in to see if it was indeed dead, it came on and posted. However, I cannot get it to install an operating system for anything. I have ISO's of OS X but, have been unable to install it. I've tried vairous PPC linux distro's to no avail as well. Originally when I got this machine the hdd was gone. So I threw in a Maxtor 10GB drive that I had laying around. I however have no idea how to tell the machine it's there or the first clue as to what I'm doing. Any help you guys/gals can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
Rocket7795 said:
I must confess first off that I know very little about mac's. I do know a lot about the x86 platform and am well versed in Windows, and the PC world. I am somewhat familiar with Linux but to call me a linux lamer would be an overstatment. Anyways, with the credentials out of the way. I somewhat stumbled into the Mac world when I purchased what I thought to be a dead G3 350 off ebay for $40. Well to my surprise when I plugged it in to see if it was indeed dead, it came on and posted. However, I cannot get it to install an operating system for anything. I have ISO's of OS X but, have been unable to install it. I've tried vairous PPC linux distro's to no avail as well. Originally when I got this machine the hdd was gone. So I threw in a Maxtor 10GB drive that I had laying around. I however have no idea how to tell the machine it's there or the first clue as to what I'm doing. Any help you guys/gals can offer would be greatly appreciated.
That might be what the seller meant by "dead" correct me if im wrong but didnt the G3s have ROM chips? There might be a problem with it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook: 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HD; PowerTower Pro (300MHz G3 clone): 608MB RAM, 10GB HD
Rocket7795 said:
I somewhat stumbled into the Mac world when I purchased what I thought to be a dead G3 350 off ebay for $40. Well to my surprise when I plugged it in to see if it was indeed dead, it came on and posted. However, I cannot get it to install an operating system for anything.
Is it blue or beige? either way you will probably have to get OS9 or X working and install boot x before you can install linux. Macs are (sometimes) tricky that way.

The blue G3s (if they are working) will install panther regardless of the firmware etc.

If it is beige it has a rom that the OSx 10.3+ installers don't really like. If you can install os 9 you can use Xpostfacto to install panther or tiger. Jaguar should install no matter what. again... if it isn't totaly dead.

good luck

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
are you sure your hardrive is working.. since it has been laying around for a while, maybe there was some kind of damage done to it.

OP
R

Rocket7795

No it's white and blue. All appears to be operating normally, I just can't get the OS installed, unfortunately I don't have a copy of OS 9. I'll look around and see if I can scare one up. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
Rocket7795 said:
No it's white and blue. All appears to be operating normally, I just can't get the OS installed.

What exactly are the problems you're encountering when attempting to install OS X?

OP
R

Rocket7795

Padawan said:
What exactly are the problems you're encountering when attempting to install OS X?
Well I can get OS X installer to boot, but it can't see the IDE maxtor 7200rpm 10GB drive. Which is formatted in NTFS because the last machine it was in I formatted it in windows. Other than that, as far as I can tell, it works.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black
The NTFS could be the problem, I know Panther supports a limited read of it, but without Panther, the mac may not be able to read the drive. Is there any way you can reformat to FAT 32?

If you can get Panther running, this is a driver set or something that should allow NTFS, not sure exactly what it is though... http://sourceforge.net/projects/ntfsosx/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
Rocket7795 said:
Well I can get OS X installer to boot, but it can't see the IDE maxtor 7200rpm 10GB drive. Which is formatted in NTFS because the last machine it was in I formatted it in windows. Other than that, as far as I can tell, it works.

Once you have it booted from the OS X installation disk, have you tried running Disk Utility and formatting the Maxtor before attempting the installation?

OP
R

Rocket7795

Padawan said:
Once you have it booted from the OS X installation disk, have you tried running Disk Utility and formatting the Maxtor before attempting the installation?
Yeah I finally got the disk formatted, I just can't get any OS to install on it. I've tried 10.x and 9.1, 9.2.2. So I just bought a copy of 8.0 gonna see if that'll work on it. If not then I've just got a big paper weight.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Where is the install hanging up at? What does it say?

OP
R

Rocket7795

dtravis7 said:
Where is the install hanging up at? What does it say?
Right when it starts to write the packages to the drive. I've got it to see the drive finally, it just won't install. I'm starting to think a firmware update is in order.

OP
R

Rocket7795

Update:

Well I tried to install 10.3 on it. It does the same thing, starts to write the packages to the drive then it crashes. I bought OS 8 off ebay for $15 gonna see if that might help. I need to update the firmware I'm almost certain of. Unfortunately, there's no way to update the firmware without an operating system. :mad:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.