Ink Jet Printer - best value regarding Ink Usage

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The New Macbook
Hi I am looking for a color printer not to expensive. I would like it to print some slightly heavier paper like 120grm.

My main priority is ink consumption. I would like a printer that allows for generic inks.

I will be printing labels and basic stuff but not photos.

I know there are a lot of threads on printers but I could not find one with the main topic being ink usage. Also a lot of them are older and now there are new models..

Thank you.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Unfortunately none of them are economically designed to save ink. Some are better than others - but that's about all you can expect. You might want to take a look at the rather inexpensive Kodak line of InkJet printers. I have no idea if they would be available in Thailand though.

I use a Canon printer in my work (6 ink tanks) and buy from an on line reseller of refilled cartridges. The refilled cartridges have been good and they cost about half the price of a new one.

Here's the LINK to the Kodak on line store in the US.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mbp
I've always found Epson printers to be compatible with 3rd party inks and work on photo grade (300gsm glossy) paper.

example:

EPSON STYLUS SX515W:
£36.66 for a multi pack (CMYK colours) or £10.68 for Cyan, Magenta, Yellow and black single colours. (from Epson)

£13.91 12x Epson Stylus SX515W Compatible Printer Ink Cartridges - Cyan / Magenta / Yellow / Black - Multipack from Amazon

Thats effectively 3 multi packs (CMYK), delivered for 13.91 as apposed to £109.98 from Epson.

Not a bad wireless printer, can be found for about £90.

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The New Macbook
HI I have never heard of the Kodak. Some one here suggested a Brother that I could modify with some Thailand only attachment but this voids the warrenty. However they said it was good value!
2009119154520-1243.jpg

Just thought I would attach the photo as it is sort of interesting. Took me a while before I Figured out this was a Thailand only thing..haha

Wondering though about the Brother printers..anyone?

Reaction score
I would get a Color Laser Printer. One thats straight line feed. Has a tray for card stock.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
She's trying to save money and looking for an economical printer. My experience with color laser printers is that they'll "toner" you out of house and home. :[

We used a Dell color laser for awhile - each toner cartridge was $90 and it used three for color and one for black.

Regards.

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The New Macbook
Thanks, I will be avoiding a laser.. I will not be doing high volume..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Might want to check your outlets around you for ink costs on the models available but I
have noticed my neighbor gets his money's worth on a Brother all-in-one i am a fan of
HP officejet.

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The New Macbook
Thanks basically that is what I have narrowed it down to, HP or Brother..

Reaction score
I will not be doing high volume..

Thats exactly why you want a laser. The toners will last for months if not years. Who says you have to buy any printer new. Theres tons of used printers out there. I picked up this OkiC5100 Laser for $12.00. The Samsung CLP300 was free. No where close to running out of toner. I print labels for gift bags and hang tags.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Not one serious plug for Canon? (other than chscag's mention). I use Canon inkjet and and can report that ink usage is economical. I previously used an Epson, and it was a thirsty beast.

I also use a Brother mono laser for text printing and it is ultra-economical.

Bearing in mind that expatgirl is in Thailand, there will be plenty of sources of cheap(er) ink. I buy generic brand ink for the Canon, preferring not to use refills.

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The New Macbook
Nice to hear the Canon get a good review. No ebay 2nd had printers for me here and electronics are not cheaper here.
Ok this thread has been informative. Can you use Generic ink with Canon HP and HP?

I have to add that my HP printer at work can not always work as it should. My Laser at home is ok but ther was no driver for mac. (Hp 1020) so had to work round that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Nice to hear the Canon get a good review.

If you hadn't guessed it, I'm a big Canon fan, mainly because their printers work so readily with Macs.

Can you use Generic ink with Canon HP and HP?

See my earlier response re ink. I'm looking right now at the last cartridges I bought. They're NUi-1 brand. No mention of where they were manufactured (prob China), quality standard ISO9001. Generic brand inks keep changing, as retailers search for ever-cheaper supplies.

I can't comment with any certainty about generic ink for HP printers, nor can I find out for you unless I have an HP printer model number.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.