How to synch from iCal to google calendars

Reaction score
Hi - me again trying to get my calendars sorted out!

I use iCal on my desktop as my main calendar, but would like to synch it to google calendars so I can access when off-site.

I read through the 'synch to iCal' stuff on google calendars, and set up as instructed, but all this seems to have achieved is that I can now view my google calendar on my iCal. However all my appointments are in iCal.

What I need is to synch the other way i.e. upload my iCal data into google calendar.

Is this possible?

OP
D
Reaction score
no answers??

I suspect from the lack of response, what I'm trying to do is not possible. I have subscribed to MobileMe, but I think this only synchs you with iPhone? Is that right? I've just got a new mobile phone which is running on MS Windows (sorry can't justify the expense of an iPhone where I live), but I'd like to synch my iCal to the phone calendar.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
Syncing iCal to Google calendar and vice versa is possible. I don't know which help files you read from Google's site but try reading this one: Get Started with CalDAV - Google Calendar Help

Follow steps 1-3. Step 4-5 are automatic. Do step 7 if you have more than one user profile calendar in your Google account.

OP
D
Reaction score
Syncing iCal to Google calendar and vice versa is possible. I don't know which help files you read from Google's site but try reading this one: Get Started with CalDAV - Google Calendar Help

Follow steps 1-3. Step 4-5 are automatic. Do step 7 if you have more than one user profile calendar in your Google account.

Thanks for the help - EM. I have already enabled my Google Calendar on the iCal, but it seems this only allows you to see (and update) your Google calendar as one of the calendars on the iCal screen. OK, I could add an event to this and it would be updated if I logged into Google, but most of my events are held directly in the iCal Calendars - what I'm trying to do is upload these to Google.

Re my other question - is it the case that MobileMe only works with iPhone not other mobile platforms?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
OK, I could add an event to this and it would be updated if I logged into Google, but most of my events are held directly in the iCal Calendars - what I'm trying to do is upload these to Google.
I think I know what you are talking about. You are trying to sync the calendars you created within iCal itself to Google calendar. You are suppose to be able to use the publish feature to "upload" your iCal calendars to the internet or MobileMe but I can't seem to get it to work. Even if it did work publishing will only allow Google to read your calendar but you can't edit it them from Google so I don't think it's the way to go.

Since you have the syncing working with Google, the easiest way to do what you are asking is to recreate the same calendars you have on iCal in Google. Then all you have to do is have iCal access them by doing step 7 with the delegates feature. Each Google calendar account allows you to create several sub-calendars which is pretty much the same thing you can do in iCal. I have 4 sub-calendars in Google and can sync them all individually to my iCal. I can then update the calendars either in iCal or in Google (when I'm away from home).

It will require you to do some extra work because you are going to have to manually re-type in all the events from your iCal but once you do then just use the Google calendars in iCal and through Google and you will be able to sync all of them between the two. Unless someone else knows another way then that's what I would do.

If you are talking about your subscriptions from other calendars sources then you can copy the url address you have in iCal and paste them to Google's calendar. You don't need to "upload" them to Google. Just have Google access them directly. Here is the instructions for that: Subscribe to calendars in Google Calendar - Google Calendar Help

Re my other question - is it the case that MobileMe only works with iPhone not other mobile platforms?
I don't have MobileMe but I believe it works easiest with iPhones. It may work for other phones but you might have to do some extra steps. Maybe someone else will know because I don't know that answer.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.