Airpost Express = Dead

Reaction score
Hi Everyone!

I bought an Express about 2 years ago, and it was working fine, I was just mainly using it to boost my wireless signal (from downstairs).

I have just come home from my first year at uni, where i didn't really use it at all - I did try to set up a wireless network from it while i was there but it didn't work - mainly because i'm stupid... :)

Aaaanyway, basically, I got home a few days ago, plugged the express in where it always used to be, and it just flashed amber the whole time, i tried resetting it and nothing happened, it never showed up on airport utility. And then i've gone to look at it today and its just dead, not working at all - not even a got **** flashing amber light! :(

Any ideas? Can i fix it? or throw it in the bin and buy a new one?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Try getting out the manual and doing a factory reset - models seem to vary slightly in the sequence advised. Then use an ethernet cable to plug it into the laptop and open Airport Utility and wait a bit and the last digits of the MAC address should show up and allow u to set up a Network again.

OP
I
Reaction score
Ok so here's the deal,

So i left my Express just laying around for like a week - then yesterday, decided to plug it in the socket. It now works, as in... turns on/has power... whatever.

Solid amber light :mad:

So i did a factory reset. Nothing changed. It doesn't show up in Airport Utility STILL!

Just as a trial, i put the airport express disc in, and started to go through the process of installing, but when i got to choosing the hard disc for it to be installed onto, it said that my system didnt support it. (i tried this with my iMac [2007] and also my new macbook [2010], both had the same result)

Does that mean that it doesn't like Snow Leopard??

I guess it would be much easier for me to just buy a new express, but i dont have that much money. I've tried all ways to fix this, but have come to dead ends with each.

Please someone help!! :(

Oh, PS, i downloaded 6.3 firmware, but obviously it couldnt find the airport to install it onto :/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
decided to plug it in the socket
But did u connect the Airport Express to the iMac with an Ethernet cable as i suggested?
Plug Express into power socket - connect socket with <•••> to iMac with ethernet cable - run Airport Utility and wait for 2 minutes. Try that.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.