C/C++ compiler installation using Xcode

Reaction score
I'm trying to install C/C++ on my machine using the install disk.

However, when I put in the install disk, double click on the "Install Xcode" icon and then on the "XcodeTools.mpkg" icon, instead of starting the install process, it displays the message: "There is no default application specified to open the document XcodeTools.mpkg".

What do I do to proceed with the installation? I though the .mpkg file would be an executable that would kick off the installation, so what is the problem?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks much.

I'm on a Mac Pro, OS X Version 10.4.11.

Looks like I don't have Installer in the pulldown menu, and neither do I have it in /System/Library/CoreServices/.

$ pwd
/System/Library/CoreServices
$ ls Installer
ls: Installer: No such file or directory
$

I tried a find command to search for Installer:

cd /
find . -name "Installer"

and it came up empty. Please advice!

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Did you follow through the link posted in the original post I pasted..there it tells you how to grab the Installer.app from the OS X CD..

Here it is again: Can't open .mpkg files - macosx.com

Regards

OP
S
Reaction score
The options I'm seeing are different from those mentioned in the posting that you pointed me to:

Posting says:

Insert your OS X install CD and click "Open Mac OS X Install Packages"

What I see:

There's no option called "Open Mac OS X Install Packages" in my install disc. Instead I see "INstall Bundled Software Only" and I see another that says "Install Mac OS X and Bundled Software" (and a third called "Xcode Tools").

The posting says:

On the window that appears, expand 'Contents of BaseSystem.pkg', then 'Applications' and then 'Utilites'.

What I see:

I don't see an option called "Contents of BaseSystem.pkg", I see many other similarly named files, but no BaseSystem.pkg.

If I re-install OS X, will it delete my data on the disk?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.