Bootcamp vs Virtual PC

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacsOSX13.6.4;10.13.6;iPhone SE2 17.3.1;SE1 15.8;iPadMini15.8;iPadAir 2 15.8
Can anyone please explain to me the difference between Bootcamp which I believe to be Apple software and Virtual PC which is Microsoft?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
They're not even in the same family. Boot Camp which comes with both the Leopard and Snow Leopard operating systems is actually a utility which partitions and prepares the hard drive for a dual boot installation of Windows.

Microsoft Virtual PC is VM software - similar to Parallels and VMWare Fusion. Here's the WiKi definition and explanation. LINK

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
More importantly VirtualPC was intended for PowerPC based Macs (i.e. prior to 2006) to be able to run Windows by emulating the Intel chipset (very slowly I might add).

For a modern Mac, if you're looking to run Windows, you can do so natively using Bootcamp, in which case you Mac will behave exactly like a Windows based PC, or you can use a virtual machine such as Parallels, VM Fusion or Virtual Box.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
In Short.

Virtual PC = A way to have windows on your PPC (not intel) Mac through the power of virtualisation. Or a virtual windows desktop in your OS X desktop. Terrible software producing poor results at best.

Bootcamp = For intel Macs only. Since intel Mac hardware is really similar to Intel windows box hardware. With bootcamp you can natively run windows on your Mac. And for all intesive purposes it is exactly like a windows box. Viruses and all. Mind you any windows viruses will not ever enter the OS X part of your hard drive.

Reaction score
Virtual PC is nice if you want to use Windows with OS X seamlessly. You will see a performance hit on the Windows side because any virtualized OS will be slow compared to it running natively on the hardware.

If you are doing minor things in Windows it maybe nicer to run a virtual setup (Parallels, VMware, etc).

It depends on the situation

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacsOSX13.6.4;10.13.6;iPhone SE2 17.3.1;SE1 15.8;iPadMini15.8;iPadAir 2 15.8
Virtual PC vs Bootcamp

Thanks everybody. The key is the fact that I have Intel so only Bootcamp will do the job.

Would I be protected from Windows viruses if I disconnected from the Internet when using Windows or is Windows still running in the background?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
No, you can use VirtualBox or VMWare or Parallels still with an Intel chip. The virtualization is much faster because you already have an x86-64 architecture chip.

Anyway, if you're not connected to the internet at all on Windows then you'll be fine. If you are, get some AV. It will not run in the background if you dual boot. If you set up a virtual machine though, you can restore to a snapshot of your machine every time you boot it up, so even if you manage to acquire a virus, you will restore to a clean slate.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Thanks everybody. The key is the fact that I have Intel so only Bootcamp will do the job.

Would I be protected from Windows viruses if I disconnected from the Internet when using Windows or is Windows still running in the background?
I run VirtualBox with Windows on my Intel MB and it runs like a charm. Simply because BC is for Intel processors doesn't mean you can't virtualize. ;)

Windows does not run in the background if you use BC and if you virtualize, it's only open when it's open. In other words, it's not open in the "background". As for security, you're running Windows so take the same precautions that you would if you were running Windows on another PC.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, 2.4GHz Core2 Duo 10.6.8, MacMini
When I transferred some of my PC progs over to my mac, both my mac and parallels had virus scanner on it (this was a few years ago, I had tried a few different scanners on the PC and Kaspersky on the Mac/Parallels) and Kaspersky found a few viruses during transfer.. My MS/Parallels is not connected to the net.. So yes you should take precautions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
When I transferred some of my PC progs over to my mac, both my mac and parallels had virus scanner on it (this was a few years ago, I had tried a few different scanners on the PC and Kaspersky on the Mac/Parallels) and Kaspersky found a few viruses during transfer.. My MS/Parallels is not connected to the net.. So yes you should take precautions.

I was working on an in-law's laptop the other day to clean up some junk his soon-to-be-ex had loaded it up with. He has Kaspersky running and currently updated. Despite that, he still had active viruses running. Oh Kaspersky had a log indicating they were found, but they weren't quarantined or anything. I was utterly dumbfounded. Another in-law's computer is currently unusable due to a virus infestation, despite them having AV software. I just don't know if the AV vendors are incompetent, overwhelmed, or the users just don't pay attention to the warnings. Probably a bit of all three.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.