Spilled water on my macbook pro

Reaction score
Hi

I SPILLED WATER ON MY MACBOOK PRO 2.26 13" BY THE CHARGER. IT WAS POWERED ON WHEN THE WATER SPILLED.

I HAVE DRIED IT OUT AND CLEANED IT UP USING A MOISTENED Q TIP. STILL WONT POWER UP AND GETS NO LIGHT ON THE CHARGER.

HOW DO I KNOW IF THIS IS A DEAD MOTHERBOARD OR JUST THAT LITTLE CIRCUIT BOARD FOR THE CHARGER ? (I AM PLANNING ON FIXING THIS MYSELF SINCE APPLE WONT COVER IT)

THANKS IN ADVANCE

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Why are you YELLING!!!

If you want help you shouldn't YELL!:(

- Nick

p.s. In case you don't know...typing in all caps is yelling.

B&O

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP i7, Mac Mini & iPhone 3G.
As far as I know the power related stuff is also on the mother board. Check out the information for spills on in the portable mac section about spills.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
To the OP:

Please do not post in all CAPS as it appears as if you're yelling at us.

Since you plan on repairing this yourself, probably the first thing would be to take the machine apart and let it thoroughly dry out for several days. In other words expose the logic board, DC input board to the air. Be sure to remove the battery first!

It may be that after drying it out things will start working again. However, even if it does start working, you may be possibly looking at future problems due to corrosion.

Go to the iFixit: The free repair manual site and get the step by step instructions for taking the machine apart.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2008 MBP
yes there is a small circuit board that connects to the charger which is separate from the motherboard; but it is a tiny board very close to the side of the laptop and unless you poured water into the laptop by turning the notebook on its side and using a straw to put the water in through the mag port the odds of that being the problem are slim to none.

If you spilled water on the keyboard even on the far left side the odds are the water dripped down onto the motherboard. I give you credit for wishful thinking, but I'm betting you got the motherboard wet and its likely toast.

OP
S
Reaction score
not sure why typing in all caps is so tabu. its so much faster and easier to read.

anyway, computer has already been drying out long enough. is the general consensus to use alcohol or just a water-moistened q-tip to clean the LB ?

its a bad sign that the charger wont light up, isnt it ?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
not sure why typing in all caps is so tabu. its so much faster and easier to read.

Two replies have already explained this!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Water vs electronics = expense

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey

anyway, computer has already been drying out long enough. is the general consensus to use alcohol or just a water-moistened q-tip to clean the LB ?

its a bad sign that the charger wont light up, isnt it ?

We've already explained about the CAPS. If you want people to read your posts and offer assistance then comply with posting etiquette.

As far as what to use for cleaning - use only denatured alcohol not the rubbing type or medical. Your charger adapter is possibly shorted out or as mentioned, the DC input board.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
In simple English she be dead alas!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook CoreDuo
Weird, I'm facing the exact same issue!

Water got spilled (thank you dog) while the computer was closed/asleep. There was a small puddle on top of the screen casing but none in the keyboard area. The MagSafe light does not illuminate and the computer doesn't boot up even under just battery power (and the battery is full according to the LED's on the bottom side).

Good luck to the both of us!

Oh, and caps is NOT faster or easier to read.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.