cant get my website to work on my g5

Reaction score
I am running my G5 as a hosting computer. All of the prots are set on the computer itself, and it should be working. But when I go to the ip address for my comcast business dns8014 it wont route the connection to the server. Include a pic of the routers rules and its dhcp rules. Please help, Ive been stumped and the guy that helps me has no clue what hes talking about.

If it matters I dont think comcast blocks ports, but if they do I can change the ports to non standards easily (like 80 to 8080), plus Im using a linksys workgroup switch, I think this might be an issue but I have more than one server so its needed. I have to get this working so please help me. :(

help1.jpg

help2.jpg

Reaction score
OK, so you can actually bring up the WEB page on the machine with no problems right?

If that is the case you simply need to forward port 80 (looks like you did) to your IP.

However, looking at your setup there is a small problem and this may be why it isn't working.

You currently have DHCP enabled on your router and are trying to forward to an IP that is in that range. Some routers won't let you do this because there is no guarantee that the IP will stay the same on that computer. What you need to do is static the IP on that computer with an IP outside of the DHCP scope and then port forward to it. If this is a small router, you might need to disable DHCP in order to enable port forwarding. Does this make sense to you?

OP
michaelk
Reaction score
Ok, so i think i understand what your saying. But if it isnt working still. Ill include more pix of what I chnaged, thankyou so much for helping.

help1.jpg

help2.jpg

Reaction score
OK, that looks better....

Do you have another computer on the local network? If so, can you use the 110 IP to get to your web page from the other computer. For example open a browser and simply type the IP 10.1.10.110 in it and see what happens. We need to make sure that your server is working correctly first. ;)

OP
michaelk
Reaction score
yes it is, when i disconnect all of the external airports and whatnot i can get to the website no problem, so inside of my network it is working. does this mean that the router is denying external connections?

Reaction score
It doesn't sound like it is getting thru. I'm not familiar with Comcast's business router. You might need to call them and see if they can help you get it setup. As I mentioned, you may need to disable DHCP for the LAN to get it working. Either way, they should be able to assist you on the phone.

OP
michaelk
Reaction score
K, i figured id have to get them involved. I googled some things and am learning that comcasts business router is crap, on many levels. Although this doesn't mean it wont work, but it is why Im having trouble getting it to work. Thankyou for helping so much DaFlake!

OP
michaelk
Reaction score
I think ive got it, and im going to post for anyone else who might have this problem. Comcast's router was so ingeniously made that it will only route outside requests if their is only one connection in only port one. I know, this sounds retarded(not saying this as condensending, but to the actual definition, it retards any use of comcast's internet for anyone using it on servers!) but its true. Okay, so what Im now working on is direction everything to my sonicwall and using it to forward ports. Which honestly is a thousand times better anyway. Okay, so again thanks daflake, your awesome man.

And to all the mac hosters or atleast developers out their, lets together grow till we own the internet world!!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.