Just ordered MBP

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13.3", Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.4GHz, 4GB DDR3 SDRAM, HD 250GB - iPod Touch 64GB
Hello all,

I am new here and looking for some assistance - Tech Advice, cool apple information sites, and or anything else.

I was a PC user for the last 16 years. Well I am tired of all the issues PC (Windows) have created. So yesterday I did it, you know, ordered a MBP with 13.3" - MC374LL/A.

Please post any information that will help me come out the gate strong when my MBP arrives.

Thanks, and I hope I will fit right into, the Apple (MAC) family.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Don't spill beverages on your laptop...we hear this happening way too often!:(

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
I second the above. Keep liquids (and people with liquids) well away from your notebook. And you should be fine. And congrats on the purchase.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 15" i7 HR AG MBP, 2009 17" AG MBP,2009 8core 2.26 MP,2010 quad MP,17" 2007MBP,macs back to 1985
ONCE YOU GO MAC, YOU NEVER GO BACK!!!!! :D

as you where a windows user you may find mac osx complicated at first, BUT it actually **** easy, don't complain bout it being complicated (i here this all the time from windows users) you will get used to it very quickly and then you will LOVE it!!

Congrats man

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2009 MBP 15 Inch, iPhone 4, iPad 2
You are going to have one fun time mate! Congrats!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15" 2.8 GHz Core 2 Duo
ONCE YOU GO MAC, YOU NEVER GO BACK!!!!! :D

I second this. I went Mac just last year and every single day that I use it, I realize what computing should be. I haven't had a single moment of frustration with my Mac the way I did with virtually every windows machine I've ever used.

There is a learning curve, but once you get used to the Mac you understand why Mac users are so passionate about their computers.

OP
bluevision
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks all for your replies. This is great it looks like the Mac family really looks out for one another. I have just a few more days and I will receive my MBP. Believe me, I am sure to be asking a lot of question. Also, I am so excited to see what all you are already experiencing.

Pigoo3, I will be sure not to spill beverages on my new MBP, thanks.

the8thark, for sure I will keep other people with liquids away, thanks

The Pro, I will be sure not to complain about my MBP being complicated. I might need some assistance. Is this OS really that easy to learn?

alexsd123, are you sure I don't need any antivirus programs? I think I should protect my investment.

TheGreatApple, thanks for the link!

FiosFiend, wow-is the MBP experience really that great.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
To bluevision:

I would read the post I made here.
That has a lot of good information for people new to the Mac as you are. Sure it's written to someone else's question but the info there I think would help any switcher/new people to the Mac.

And it is Mac (short for Macintosh) and not MAC. MAC is a totally different thing. People here can be pretty anal on this point. Just letting you know :).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Put your OS installation disc(s) in a secure place that you will remember. You will need them someday!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15" 2.8 GHz Core 2 Duo
FiosFiend, wow-is the MBP experience really that great.

Well I can only speak for my personal experience. Yes, it's really been "that great". Everything I've done on the Mac has been easier than on a windows machine. I haven't had 100% problem free computing, but even when there is a little snafu it's not a major ordeal. For example, I've had browser crashes but on a Mac when your browser crashes it doesn't bring your whole system down the way it tends to on a windows machine.

On the Mac if you have a problem that really needs support, you call one number and you get a knowledgeable Mac expert on the phone (in the US) that isn't reading from a script. They will walk you all the way through getting the problem resolved start to finish and they won't blame it on someone else. I had to call Apple Help once because of a blue tooth issue. It was actually a pleasant experience.

So far I haven't found anything that I could do on a windows machine that I can't do on the Mac. The only thing that has really come up is that my portable scanner that I used on my previous windows laptop doesn't have Mac drivers for it. Other than that I've not had any real problems at all.

One other thing. Get yourself a new (if you don't have one) portable external drive to use as a Time Machine backup disk. Time Machine, ROCKS. This is the by far the best back up solution for your everyday backup needs of anything I've ever seen. I don't use mobile me but Time Machine is fantastic. All you have to do is set it up once then plug in your designated Time Machine disk and it does the rest, no muss no fuss.

OP
bluevision
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
To bluevision:

That has a lot of good information for people new to the Mac as you are. Sure it's written to someone else's question but the info there I think would help any switcher/new people to the Mac.

And it is Mac (short for Macintosh) and not MAC. MAC is a totally different thing. People here can be pretty anal on this point. Just letting you know :).

I will keep the MAC, Mac difference in mind when posting - My badO:).

OP
bluevision
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Put your OS installation disc(s) in a secure place that you will remember. You will need them someday!

I will be sure to do this! Thanks!

OP
bluevision
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well I can only speak for my personal experience. Yes, it's really been "that great". Everything I've done on the Mac has been easier than on a windows machine. I haven't had 100% problem free computing, but even when there is a little snafu it's not a major ordeal. For example, I've had browser crashes but on a Mac when your browser crashes it doesn't bring your whole system down the way it tends to on a windows machine.

On the Mac if you have a problem that really needs support, you call one number and you get a knowledgeable Mac expert on the phone (in the US) that isn't reading from a script. They will walk you all the way through getting the problem resolved start to finish and they won't blame it on someone else. I had to call Apple Help once because of a blue tooth issue. It was actually a pleasant experience.

So far I haven't found anything that I could do on a windows machine that I can't do on the Mac. The only thing that has really come up is that my portable scanner that I used on my previous windows laptop doesn't have Mac drivers for it. Other than that I've not had any real problems at all.

One other thing. Get yourself a new (if you don't have one) portable external drive to use as a Time Machine backup disk. Time Machine, ROCKS. This is the by far the best back up solution for your everyday backup needs of anything I've ever seen. I don't use mobile me but Time Machine is fantastic. All you have to do is set it up once then plug in your designated Time Machine disk and it does the rest, no muss no fuss.

You sure do make the Mac experience sound so awesome! My MBP can not come soon enough!

OP
bluevision
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
To bluevision:

I will be sure to utilize this advice in my future posts.

OP
bluevision
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just Got MY MBP

WOW, this Mac is so awesome - Just installed Office 2008 and ready to do some more exploring. I will keep you guys updated.:D

Bluevision

OP
bluevision
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Locking on demand

On my old PC when I wanted to lock my system on demand I would press the windows key + L. I am having a little trouble finding the shortcut on locking down may new awesome MBP. If any one knows how to use the shortcut or maybe there is a way to put a lock button on my menu bar or desktop please advise. Thanks.:Oops:

OP
bluevision
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This MBP is so smooth I wish I would have switched much earlier in life!!!!:D:D:D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" 2.66Ghz C2D 4GB ram 320GB HDD
On my old PC when I wanted to lock my system on demand I would press the windows key + L. I am having a little trouble finding the shortcut on locking down may new awesome MBP. If any one knows how to use the shortcut or maybe there is a way to put a lock button on my menu bar or desktop please advise. Thanks.:Oops:

hey,

do get a "lock screen like on windows try this method:

All you need to know is the Shift+Ctrl+Eject shortcut. By default,
this shortcut simply sleeps your display; wiggle your mouse to wake
it up. That's nice to know, but it's not much of a lock. The solution:

(click the apple logo then click system preferences) Under System Preferences → Security → General, check ‘Require password
after sleep or screensaver begins'. This has the advantage of working
perfectly with the keyboard combo to switch off your display.

OP
bluevision
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
DRMac,

Thanks worked like a charm!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.